When do you call it a day ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Maxwells, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Hi
    Obviously when you start a lawn biz it will be hard for the 1st while, how long do you leave it before you throw the towel in and go and get a job that pays regular money ?
    Do you just keep doing good work and eventually the work and $ will follow ? is it worth getting in debt ?
    Just some feedback on this would be great !
    Cheers

2. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well I got to tell ya that the attitude that you are presenting is a sure way to go back to a "regular job".

I do not know how long you have been in the business but you got to make it work if its going to work. There is no magic.....no secret. This is business and you have to be dedicated to the business to make it grow....it will not grow itself.

If you are already worried maybe you should work for someone else for awhile and learn the ins and outs of the business before going at it solo.

I always say that starting a business was the worst thing I ever did and THE BEST THING I EVER DID!

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Diversify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The more your able to offer, the more customers you will get. Retaining them comes from good work. Throw in the towel? If your asking that then this is not the business to get into. Equipment, knowledge and ambition and some common sense will make you a lot of money in this business

4. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN IT ? AND THE POST BE FOR ME DID YOU EVER AT ALL EVEN THE LEAST BIT THINK ABOUT THROWING THE TOWEL IN ? JUST ASKING I DON'T WANNA MAKE ANY ONE MAD

5. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Dont get me wrong - i dont sit on mt ass and hope it happens , i am out delievrying flyers calling customers etc, but at the end of the day bills need to be paid. I have built upto 25 regular lawns and a few regulars that want hedges cut that has taken around 2 months to get to................

6. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

did i get that right you have only been in it for two months

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No never once thought of throwing in the towel!!!! I bet everything I had on a business and I was determine to make it suceed.

8. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

if you dont have the will to make it grow then get out
    you must have the will power do you realy want to go back to a boss
    and make then rich for your services
    i wont go back to nine to five

they cant put in you and they cant take it out of you

Dale Earnhart Sr.

9. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

How long have you been in Biz and how long did it take to get going ?

10. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

You've only been at it for 2 months and already have 25 accounts? Thats not too bad. If you really want to make your bussiness succeed its going to take more than 2 months to get there. I've been at it for 2 1/2 years and I'm just getting to the point where theres a light at the end of the tunnel. My biggest advice to you would be to buy the best equipment you can afford, but for the time beingonly buy the equipment that you really need. You'd be better off to take the extra money you'd be spending on extra equipment and save it for a rainy day.