1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do you change your hydro oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by snapper, Jun 30, 2008.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a viking this year, and trying to figure out the best hour figures to change the hydro oil. I think the book says 275 hrs for the first change then yearly after. Well i will be lucky to do 100 hrs a year right now. And i figure the more you open the system the more likely to introduce dirt. I figure as long as the oil still looks good, wouldn't 200 hours be plenty soon enough? What do you all do? What about engine oil, how often do you all change it? I use to do 50 hours, but i think as long as it looks good i am going to try 100 hour or yearly.. What do you all do? I think the book says 100 hrs for the oil and 200 for the filter which is insane. But i also think 50 hours is kinda soon and wasteful. So whatcha think, 100 hours on oil and filter sound about right? Just looking to see what you all have found to work good. I am not too worried about the engine oil, that i can handle. But the hydro oil is a new ball game to me, and want to find the best interval to ensure long life. So any input?

Later!! chris
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

on my scag turf tiger, the manual says every 500 hours for hydro, but i change more often, especially here in florida, being so hot. the oil keeps the hydro pumps cool..i change so often that i change the filter every other time. engine oil monthly...
  3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your numbers sound pretty good. When in doubt, read the manual or call Exmark.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I think its after the first 250 hours then once per season.
  5. F.S Lawn Care

F.S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I was told to never replace it
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can't tell you if this is good for your Z or if it won't break it but two hundred hours is what I do,
    I also barely might put 100 a year on mine, if I even get anywhere close to that.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Your RIGHT..........NEVER
  8. KatKutter

KatKutter LawnSite Member

500 a year on 2 machines. I use mobile 1 (15w50). Usually change filters about twice a season. And loose enough oil in the process that i just cap the reservoir back off. Its worked for 20 years, actually never change it. I just make sure theres a good filter on the mower and the synthetic oil is always just like when i put it in. Some mowers may require other oils, check with your dealer if any doubts.
  9. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Awful bit of info, follow your owners manuals recommendations on hydro fluid service. They Manufacture of the hydro pumps(most times HydroGear) works very closely with the manufacture of your equipment as to what pump to run in these units and what grade of oil to run along with fans and coolers on different models.

The person telling you never to change it will also be the one telling you that your entire hydro system will need to be replaced while licking their lips :hammerhead:

I have torn down plenty of hydro systems and can tell you your oil does breakdown and metal shaving are in the system. Replacing the filter and oil at least once a year is much cheaper then replacing pumps and wheel motors and the labor that comes along with that.
  10. F.S Lawn Care

F.S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I should probably get on that. That might explain why I had to put new freakin hoses on it last year.....interesting as to why the jacknob might have told me that. I swearI never even thought about it because i was told to never replace it.