when do you edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, May 16, 2005.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you that edge every week, do you do it befor you mow like you line trim or do you linetrim mow then edge?

2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I like to switch it up unless its a first time edge. Then I edge first and mow over the clippings.

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i always mow first that way i have the least amount of trimming possible and it makes it easier for edging and trimming.

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Always in that order i use the mower to blow the big stuff off the sidewalks that makes blowing faster.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Trim guy is responsible for correcting all mow problem....even when we have two guys mowing and two trimming.

6. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

Edge, trim, mow I dont understand why any one else would do it any other way. You edge, and if you dont get quite everything, you hit it with the trimmer, all of the trimmer clippings get chopped up by the mower and your out with a perfect lawn. Im not saying that anyone should do this, but give it a try, I find that I can anticipate where I Can and Cant mow after a few times on a given property.

7. Rob's landscaping

Rob's landscaping LawnSite Member

NEVER,
    Do it with the weed eaters

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm close to St louis and I think everyone does it this way and I do it his way too.

9. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

it just makes sense to mow first . that way when you trim you already have a height of the grass to match it up to . i never use a trimmer on sidewalks i just edge them every other week .

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I always mow first, then trim. That way, less trimming. Hold the trimmer correctly (remember the string goes counter-clock) and the clippings go where you want them.
    Far as edging, I hope you are not referring to the special edger tool with the metal blade... Only time I use THAT is when I do mulch, for all else I just use the trimmer... Angle it for those nifty edged looks is all I do, make sure not to hit the dirt.
    I mean edger + trimmer for grass-cutting? You gotta be kidding...