When do you guys....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Jan 31, 2005.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

When do you guys call your clients from the previous year to let them know there is a price increase?

I was thinking, the best time to wait is until middle of March. That way its not to early for your customers to say no, and look for someone else, and its not to late where as they already might be signed up with someone else?

So... When do you guys wait to tell your existing clients from last year?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We don't call any of our customers. We send out a welcome back letter the first of March. Including in that letter will be the price increase. Too many customers to have to call, having to play phone tag with some of them, others that are elderly may get confused and think we are calling cause we want to come out to cut the grass immediately.. for us, it's just better to send a letter.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

They find out when they get their first monthly statement...no way I'm making 150 or more phone calls.

4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll be sending out this year's contract package with increased prices this month sometime. Here, we legally need to have contracts for DEC & consumer affairs so a phone call would be a waste of time since I have to send out contracts anyway. You should too for a multitude of reasons.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I do the same thing Jodi does.

6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto.......

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Do the same thing as well. Just put all your contact information on the top of the letter. If you offer discounts such as senior citizens or what have you include that information too. One other thing I try to do is to remind them of their "scheduled" day of mowing.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

they find out when they get their contract of renewal in the mail with the new price on it

9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto what Tiedeman said. In fact I just finished filling out my agreements and will be mailed tomorrow. I just hope all the increases do not backfire. :)

10. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

I try to go 2 years at the same price. I usually explain to them that everyone gets a cost of living raise and so should we. Usually I recommend a couple of guys for bids and tell them that there is no offense if they take another bid but this is what I need to have. Very nice and polite and whatever happens I ask them if they have insurance and if their homeowners insurance will cover a mistake. I always give them the option with a handshake and a smile it has only bit me a couple of times a year and usually the ones I don't want.