1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do you know that you "NEED" a full time dump truck?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 4, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Ive wanted something like an F550 05+ dump body or taller landscape body dump truck for a while, but didnt "NEED" it. I have a 14' 14k dump trailer that im starting to use a LOT and staring to feel the need for one ON the truck. I also am to the point that i could use "4 doors" instead of only the extended cab, which works but could be easier with a crew cab dump truck.

I see lots that seem like deals around, i guess because companies are selling some of theirs and i see some companies "new/newer" F550s at the local auction lot so maybe they were repoed or something? It would just be nice to be able to go and get lots of mulch and other supplies and still pull a trailer instead of having the dump trailer all the time and no other options. I think this is going to be my priority for next spring. I see lots of 2008 models on the dealer lots but really want a new/used 05-07 model in an XLT which has proved difficult to find.

What bodies do you like and dislike for these trucks? The Dejana company and ABC make a lot around the philly/NJ areas. I saw one that almost mimics a large scale dump truck type body, instead of that "stake body" look landscape dump thats 3-4' tall and 12' long. Why go with a "dump truck" type body like most sell when there is only a 1' side to them, then you have to add in 2-3 boards to make it hold any volume? Are they stronger than the landscape bodies?
  2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Wouldnt recomend a 04 up ford diesel...had lots of problems with the motors.
    The 03 and older with the 7.3 were great motors. My chevy dealer offered me a 07.5 dmax dump last fall with crew cab for 33k.. Not a bad deal..

With the economy like it is, id keep what ya have...
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I just picked up an 87 ford f-350 with an 8 foot rugby dump bed. I feel it is more expensive than having a full size truck and dump bed. (Insurance, repairs, fuel, ect.)

I went that route only because I have an 01 s-10, and it isn't paid off quit yet, and I got a really good deal on the dump truck. The dump truck doesn't get used much, but will haul 5 times as much as my s-10, so it helps get jobs done faster when I need it.

Soon as I can, I'm getting a full-size and dump. Unless business is really good, and I need the ride-off for tax purposes, then I'll get another dump truck.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah i hear ya... I hear guys saying never to use a pickup truck for anything in the landscape business and others saying never to buy the heavier trucks like the duallys, F550s, anything with a big/heavy body on it unless you have to use it every single day etc.

Around NJ, it darn well seems every landscape, lawn, irrigation, hardscape company has an F550 truck, or 2, 3 or 10. I personally would choose not to use it many times simply because its carrying capacity is not needed in many cases.

Hell i like to use my F150s over the diesel F350 for the same reasons.

And i already have a 04+ 6.0L diesel in my signature there :p knock on wood, nothing has given even a glitch of issue in 26k hard working miles so far. With that said, i would only consider an 05-07 model.
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been in your spot a couple of times where i was on the verge of purchasing a dump, but always backed out. The beginning of the season is always friggin crazy, I don't know which job to do next or turn. But i look at the prices of the truck, fuel, think of down time, repairs...is it worth it. Its a big purchase and what it comes down to is for some guys its their best purchase and they make it, others, purchase it and can't afford it. Your best bet is to search hard for a early model good condition dump. You'll save some coin on the initial price. They are out there. like a 97 Ford F-350 with dump is a great truck, i see them on the road all this time. Find year round work before you make a purchase, find work with a supply yard running deliveries...it'll keep you busy year round.

The new ford dumps i have heard and seen nothing but problems with. I guy i plowed for bought 4 or 5 brandy new 07-08 mason dumps/landscape bodied trucks to plow with and to run for scape work (hes a very big local company) and throughout the winter each one was in the shop for repairs had something wrong with it...not because of abuse etc...just simply hit the fan.

Good Luck

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember that a crew cab with a 10' body is not going to be very manuverable in tight spaces. In my area, most guys have conveted to cabover Isuzu, GMC (same thing), and Mitsubishi. They are easy for your help to drive and turn on a dime.

Stake bodies are great for mulch, but if you haul loam, gravel, or boulders you'll beat the heck out of it in no time.
  7. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I am in the same position you are in. Except to add one more twist to the problem... I need to be able to show a profit on paper this year for the IRS which is keeping me from expanding my equipment inventory and from buying another truck this year. But.. I too am trying to decide whether or not to buy more pickups and add dump trailers to them, or buy the dump truck. I do move quite a bit of topsoil, so if I buy a truck I would need to go with something in the 16-18k GVW range rather than a one ton. That being said I am leaning towards the cab-overs (specifically the isuzu's because of parts availability in my area over the mitsu's) because I do plow in the winter and need something that has good maneuverability, however, I am then sacrificing 4 wheel drive and relying strictly on weight in the bed to get traction. What to do.....????????:dizzy:
  8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It's worth it!!! I am only able to run my business Thursday-Saturday and I'm only on my 14th month and I still bought an F-550 last year (used manual '04 hehehe). Been awesome so far. You gotta have the equipment to do the jobs- that's my opinion. Also have to have a good financial plan and budget. I also have a Bri-Mar 12,000# (CDL range for the combo) Having the capability to DUMP at the end of the day is a MUST for a solo guy. It's a great combo to have. Mulch and soil jobs are a breeze. I'm a HUGE believer in spending some cash to be properly (and safely) equiped. We have enough headaches in our industry!!
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Aren't you able to depreciate the vehicle over a certain number of year? Don't really understand how it is so difficult to show a profit... I guess you must a magic man for an accountant or don't net anything.
  10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member