When do you mulch???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazman, Feb 5, 2001.

1. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

Just kind of curious when people lay down bark. Early or late Spring, early Summer??? I saw some people putting it down in January. Last year we barked six restaurants in May and they complained it was to late. I am thinking this year to do it in March because if we do it earlier around here, the rains wash them out. Any pro and cons on what month to do it? Thanks.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

is to mulch as early in the spring as possible.

We however, like to mulch in October so that the plant materials can benefit from the nutrient value during the winter months, and then it gets "re-fluffed" as we perform spring clean-ups.

I personally like the way a fall mulching looks if there is no snow on the ground (mild winters lately here). You can still see somewhat of a pattern on the turf and yet the muclhing just adds that extra touch. Kind of like winter advertising.

Just my .02
    Kris

3. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

I can't believe Kutnkru is the only one out there that puts bark down. I was hoping to get a little more response, considering there has been more than 60+ looks at this thread. As Major Tom says "Anybody out there??"

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Well in an ideal world, we would like to lay the mulch down in March, but sometimes it just doesn't all work out that way for us.
    Being here near Pittsburgh, we have to wait until the snow is off the ground.

If we have a decent March, we will be doing our mulching then. Hopefully no later than April 15th, because by then we will be contending with the grass and we need to devote our time to cutting.

Mulch jobs are not something that we go after. We will do them for our existing customers, but usually turn away customers that just want mulch laid down and nothing else.
    At the present time, we do not contract it out either.

I definitely say, if your weather is good in March, mulch then.

5. goose

goose LawnSite Member

We do it twice a year , March and October.Mulches main funtion is to retain moisture . Once you have it at the right depth you need to add just enough to change the color. You might even have to get some of the old mulch out first.

6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I try to do mulching in spring just before starting the mowing season, for the customers I have grass contracts with.
    If I do not have the customer's grass contract I try to do their mulching just at the begining of the mowing season, and give them a free mow.

7. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Around here the practice, from my competitors profiles, and my account preference experience, is Spring mulching as main and usually only mulch work. I have never had accounts ask for turning or fluffing. It is a practice that seems to work best when you just figure it in to the bid and just do it.

Some accounts are mulched as soon as conditions permit in early Spring around March and April. Others are just fluffed with a rake or small bed tiller and then mulched in early Summer after annual flowers have been planted in late May to early June or after beds have been edged for Spring.

I agree with the comments about Fall mulching or at least turning it over for winter. If there is not alot of snow during the winter, some accounts that are highly visible benefit from this practice. I do this to a few maintenance accounts

I am curious if anyone along these lines of fluffing or turning mulch, has ever used any of the spray colorants to add to this practice. I have thought about it alot since I first ever seen the colorants. I think it would be ideal for sites where the mulched ares are not really close to public view like tree rings or back of property areas and where the chance for foot traffic through the mulch is minimal. Just fluff and spray and it would look like new mulch applied. This could maybe be a good practice for the Fall mulch work?

8. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do it in the spring and again lightly in July-Aug for mainly aesthetic value. Typically rake up some mulch in the spring to maintain a set depth of fresh mulch and in the fall a little 10-10-10 takes care of the bed feeding.
    Strawbridge Lawn and Landscape

9. kutnkru

10. kutnkru

I like the thought process of fluffing in the spring when I have so many other more profitable services to perform than the inital mulching.

Kris