When do you retire equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok so I've got plenty of equipment sitting around that has one thing or another broken on it that has just been left till I can find parts to fix.

One is bugging me more than others I have a Robin trimmer that when I bought it new ( 5 years ago) I only used it for one complete season and when I went to start the next fresh season in the spring the gear box on the end of the string trimmer seized up. I looked the part # up 6273001006 and its $125+ everywhere I look.

At what point do you generally say ok that's to much and throw the equipment out? I'm uncomfortable with the fact that I could purchase this new part for this trimmer and the following week something else can go out. I think I bought it for around $350 new its the 30cc model

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

when it starts getting expensive to fix the equipment and its always breaking every week or 2 i decide to get it replaced

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

pretty big gamble on the trimmer, but you could always sell it

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I shouldn't be the one to say this right now, but....typically I would retire a piece of equipment when I can't find parts, it breaks down often, or it's performance has gone down due to age. But I usually sell my equipment before it gets to that point so I can get a little money out of it.

But everyone does things differently, some people replace equipment every year or every other year, even if that piece of equipment has under 1000 hours.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I NEVER throw it away, I keep those for parts, never know when I might need something.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Your scenario is the reason I try to stick with one brand and model for so long. I've been using Shindaiwa T-230 trimmers for over 10 years now. I have 1 junk one for parts, a back up and the one I take with me every day. I don't have to buy parts very often. If I do it's usually a gasket or something like a clutch.

With my mowers I just run them until I get tired of working on them.

7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

You are so right about that Rich. Even if it's not the same model parts may be exchangeable within a manufacturer line.

As far as selling units it's not my thing. Once it shows signs of age I buy a new one. This gives me time to find cheap or used parts. Once repaired the old unit is used and abused for dirty tasks until it completely falls apart. After that I strip it of any useful intact parts (carbs, coils, pumps, clutches, anything) and the rest goes to a junkyard. No sense in having a back yard full of scrap. Some parts I sell, give to friends, others that fit new machines are kept as spares.

In your predicament I would buy the same trimmer again if you liked it and keep this one for parts. I you rather try something else, use the engine for something else, like making a motorized bicycle, they're very popular these days, sell over the Internet or give to the neighbor's kids to toy with.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I retire it when I get sick of spending money on it

9. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

when it cost more 2 fix than it is worth

10. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I sell it!

If something is around 1/2 its value to fix I generally will sell it.