when do you start and end the day for your crews?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by seabee24, Sep 4, 2012.

1. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering, I heard about a few local companies in my area not paying for travel to the first job site, others paying the travel but not punching the crew (labors, excluding the crew leader whom checks the truck) until the truck leaves the shop.

I had a big problem with getting the guys out the door in the morning. Seems they think its time to hank out, take a $hit, smoke, wake up before they roll out of the shop. A consideration that I am looking into is having them prep the truck/equiptment the day before, then just telling them their time starts when the truck leaves the shop based on GPS.

just wondering if anyone has tried that or pros/cons?

Please keep in mind, I try to be a fair person, hoenst days work for an honest days pay. But taking a $hit, and arriving half asleep then taking 30 mins to get out the door in my mind isnt an honest days work.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Well if your driving the truck ,and they aren't in in,dock them a days pay for not showing up to work.

3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Silver Member

You give an inch, they take 2 feet:hammerhead:

Im also curious about this, must be a trend!!!!

Seems like once they get "comfortable" this happens...

What a way to start your day:clapping:

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Day light to dark how I run
    There times we work till job is done that could be to midnight or later Laid sod till 1 am due to lots rain was in forecast
    Each worker gets a % bonus each day on how many lawns are mowed and serviced
    Each day we service the mowers or service tractors and other stuff then have some trash duties on some of are customers then once grass is dry mowing will start
    This is the first week we realy going have full week of mowing Grass is green again

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We do all our maintance @ the end of the day. All they do in the am is hook up, put water & ice in the cooler and pull out of the shop.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

Well that's the idea, but here's my question, it has seemed like even if the truck is loaded and ready to go, they still can't seem to turn the key and leave on time. Someone is always late, someone is always half awake, on the can, or they failed to do all the maintenance the night before. The end result is leaving late, returning late, and what seems to me 15-20 mins daily of standing around with minimal productivity. I'm wondering if "officially " starting their time clock when the truck leaves would eliminate the standing around and motivate them to get the heck out the door quickly?

7. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

We try to do the same. I hate seeing guys screw off in the morning, even if it makes me stay longer the night before I like getting stuff ready to roll out imediately as soon as they get there. There already is the drive time to the first job while ther on the clock.

8. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how it is in your state but here you can pay them from the time they get to the first job till they leave the last job. If they were driving their own vehicle, they would not get paid to drive to and from work. If the owner is not the driver then that is a different story. Meaning the driver must be paid.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  9. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Once we hit the first lawn they are on the clock. When I dont drive, driver gets paid from the start. This is another reason why all my clients are in a 5 mile radius.

10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

the extra 45 minutes or so in the evening to get everything re-lubed/re-fueled/re-everything saves about 2 hours in the morning! Took me about 3 years to finally learn that.

Basically in the morning the only thing the guys do are get the schedules and go, they do stop at a gas station about a mile away for their ice if needed, other than that, the mornings are pretty smooth.