1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do you start cutting again?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mo Green, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that there are a wide variety of cities and towns represented on this site, and was just wondering when you will begin cutting again in your area. Also, if the grass has not yet begun to grow when your contract date states that you are to begin cutting, how do you handle that?
  2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i always plan for march. weather pending. sometimes i think its too early, then i see tons already done with lime applied... then i scramble to get going. but estimating here in the north east, mid march to beginning of april. even if its alittle too cold, i have better luck with grabgrass the earlier it goes down.
  3. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

We havn't quit and probably won't. tHE GRASS IS MOSTLY domant here but I try to sell a clean wellkept yard about 90% of our customers are getting us to cut about once every three weeks.
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

were in the same general area. i usually plan to start everything in early to mid april. march is just too soon, unless we have a recored early spring and very mild temps. as i remember, their have been marches when we were still dealing with snow falling :dizzy:
  5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually go the week after St Paddys day. I need time to sober up one last time!
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i think 2 years ago, i did snow removal around easter.. :)
    i leave it as weather pending, but will be ready to go with start up flyers delivered, fertilizer loaded, etc.
    Ct. isn't too far, but still a few hours north of us. we are on a similar schedule, i just plane for mid march. and would like to have clean ups done and start maintenace for the first or second week of april. I also like to start early, cuz the work loads up really fast and in the past i have lost work from not getting to it soon enough.
    but it all come dpown to the weather. it was 66 degrees here last week, now its..... 10 :help:
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We shoot for the second week of March...after that, I'm like," What do you mean it's NOVEMBER???"...LOL :D

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

March 14th is the go date this year.
    We visit all contracts every 2 weeks all winter but will go to full speed on the 14th
  9. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Start pre em treatments first of march, but don't start mowing until the 15th of march or soon thereafter.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

depeneds on weather but most of the time the first week of april we start cutting