1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do you start? Finish?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lech615, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

This question is for those of you who leave in the New York Tri-State area. I was wondering when does your mowing season usually begin and end. Also, when do you usually start your Spring clean ups.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring cleanups and mulching begin in early to mid-march. Mowing usually begins around the second or third week of April and ends right now. I can eke out a few more cuts via mulching the leaves. Not to mention Lowering the blades in 1/4" increments starting the second week of October gives the appearance of cutting the grass.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Season starts as early in March as possible and ends the week of turkey day.

If weather permits and there is no snow you can go back out and check to make sure that any of the Pin Oaks and Maples that like to start dropping in Dec havent covered the ground.

We cut one year the second week of Dec because it just didnt get cold fast enough in Nov and the grass kept growing.

4. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

Upstate we're a little behind you guy's as far as starting in the spring.
    We usually start the beginning of april depending on if there's still snow up here.Rarely can we start in march. And we go through now doing leaf cleanups etc..

Dan G.
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

More than less, March is too wet and still snow on the ground to start anytime soon, but I would say for CT it was

DEFINETLY Beginning of April to the end of October

IF YOUR LUCKY March to November
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

for me, i start spring clean ups 2nd-3rd week of april, and finish about the first week of december
  7. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

First or second week in March start in spring. I start fall clean ups after Thanksgiving and go until a week before Christmas, sometimes even later as Beech, Oak, and some maples are very slow to drop their leaves.
  8. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

march -through april is leaf cleanups then from may1st through nov1st is lawn service than nov through late dec is clean ups.jan feb if you get snow buy a blower or plow this year im get a snow blower i think.if theres no snow i would advertise shrub and tree cutting and landscape work. thers a huge company around heres does christmas decorateing and he gets big money for it. what part of long island are you from
  9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

cleanups start in mid april and mowing begins in may. we finished cleanups in last week of november or first snow last yr but the grass dont grow that long. last mowing is around now or a lil earlier.