When do you start getting most of your calls for spring?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spitfire3416, Feb 25, 2013.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

it can't come soon enough.. i'm gettin antsy!

2. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in NJ as well and I think your way too early. What part of NJ are you in?

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This warm, rainy winter threw a wrench in our normal EOW slow season. We still mowed EOW but maint and ancillary services easily filled the off weeks. To the point a couple vacations got cancelled. Summer sized paychecks in Feb helped ease the pain. The hunt is on for a few skilled workers in different fields. I don't want to wait for spring rush to hire and train new guys. I even added a female irrigation assistant tech. She's a little spitfire and fits in great, doesn't take an ounce of bs and wants to work. The landscape is a changin and I'm liking it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Yep, West Texas here too, and im starting to see some work calls coming in. I have four jobs to work this week..unfortunatly a "freak storm" rolled in toda and we went from 60 degree weather over to snow and wind...LOL. its supposed to clear out tomorrow though, so later this week, i should be able to get those jobs knocked out. They are mainly spring clean ups stuff like that.

5. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Middlesex county.. last year was my first year in business and I handed them out in March. I did alright I guess, and I agree it's early, but I figured it's better to be "too early" than "too late". Shouldn't spring cleanups be done in March so that you can have more free time to do other things like mulch, plantings, fertilizer and trimming in April? I don't know, I'm not saying you're wrong, I just feel like the season should begin in March is all.

How about you? When do you start doing you're clean ups?

6. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i've been getting calls and its still been kinda cold here. I had one estimate scheduled today, by the time i got out of the bed this morning had 2 more estimate requests from online, and 1 more came in on the way back home. that makes 6 since saturday. all of them found me on google. I haven't really put out many doorhangers yet. I picked up 3 mowing accounts in january.. I wasn't really expecting much until march either. hopefully i will get some more calls in the spring. this is my first full season, i started about july last year and it was a total bust for me, this year is already looking way better.

7. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in north jersey. I don't think I'll get any calls until the second week of March. I hope I get some soon but it's too cold just yet. With the storms coming this week I think I'll be waiting another couple of weeks before I can do anything. Still have a little snow on the ground up here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't start cleanups until third week of march and usually continue through the 2nd or 3rd week of April. The grass doesn't start growing mid April.

9. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

LOL...small world. i grew up in middlesex NJ. then Middletown, hillsboro, and then Lawrenceville, before graduating HS and going in the military years back.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm a little north of you and we have had over a week of temps in the 40s. That said the ground is still covered in snow here and I learned the hard way when I use to do post cards the calls don't come in if its white out. Timing the cards use to drive us nuts we would send out batches of around a 1000 and the first batch would hit and we would have 10-20 calls. Then the next would be put in the mail and all of a sudden the weatherman was wrong and we had 4 inches of snow and the batch would flop 1-3 calls. So you can send out your advertizing to late but you can also send it out to early and the timing is more to do with ground conditions than an arbitrary start date.