1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do you start your lawn season and when do you end

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Amco Landscaping, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Amco Landscaping

Amco Landscaping LawnSite Member

I am new to this lawn biz and i was just wondering when do you normally start up cutting lawns. I am in new york. Also when is your last mow of the season?

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I cut Jan 1st - Dec 31st.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Strickly grass cutting is mid March until Nov/Dec. But the season pretty much runs Jan 1 to Dec 31 now days. Leaf season here will go all winter based on mud conditions.
  4. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

On the average year I will start with mulch/pruning early March, mowing by last week of March/early April and go until the snow. I do residential snow and misc. landscape work and cleanups as weather allows until it all start over again in March. :D
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We are in PA, and every year it's just a little bit different. The work begins in March with cleanups and small landscaping jobs... grass cutting differs from year to year depending on how soon it starts to warm up, but we really push for the first week of April. We finish up each year right around November 15th....
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just as a plan, April 1st to Oct 31 but it varies from season to season....but that is generally how I view it.....comes out to 30 weeks.
  7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

That's how we are too.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I am just North of Charlotte NC and write contracts which states weekly service March 15 thur Nov. 15 and as needed over the winter. When I price my service I figure 38 cuts and it works out well for me. Up north by you I would think April 1 till Oct 1 would work about right.
  9. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

NC Here....I start March 15 and quit when the grass is completely brown....then do leaves!
  10. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

mid march to end of december and snow removal in winter