1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do you stop buying equipment?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hudsonhawk, Nov 14, 2007.

1. hudsonhawk

hudsonhawk LawnSite Member

I started a lawn/landscape busniness a year and a half ago. I bought a 1 ton truck, couple mowers, aeriator, and a few other basics. My friend who has done this for a while with success keeps telling me to keep buying equipment/tools to make more $. I see the logic, but I struggle with the idea of putting myself more in the hole when its tough to pay my current equipment off already! I know business's fold everyday because they get in over their head and I dont want to be one of them! Any theory's or suggestions? Thanks.
  2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Don't buy new until the old one breaks or is paid for.
  3. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Try not to finance equipment. Buy only what you need. Put the money you would spend on payments aside. Then pay cash for your equipment. It's real simple. You want more coming in and less going out.
  4. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I like to rent equipment. I do not buy untill I have a use for that piece more than once a month. But you must have all the basic equipment first.
  5. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

Go to school. And get a plan.
  6. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

when you run of of money!!

but really, i have bought different tools to help expand what services i offer. sometimes it was stupid, and sometimes it has paid off. you need to see whats working in your area. i bought a topdresser because this area is just starting into composting, and "organics" and no one does topdressing but me, i have a whole line of customers for the spring, machine is paid for!

i rent a lot of stuff. excavators, drum rollers, tampers, chippers, highlifts. things that will never make me money sitting at my house. i am 85% mowing right now. so my money goes back into mowing equipment. i started out with slow, inefficient equipment. when it gets to the point of no return, or i get to the point of breaking, i buy what i need. my amount of mowing doubled in one year, so i had to make sure i had 2 60" mowers. i only have them because i need them.

i wouldn't buy until you need it. at this point in your business worry about keeping you head above water.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

More equipment will make you money, provided you have the jobs and personnel to run the equipment. You can really overdo it as a solo or small operation. If you can afford to buy backup equipment, that's one thing, but don't buy every single piece of equipment you MIGHT use here or there. Things like aerators, dethatchers, can be rented easily.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy the equipment you need to be productive. If it works makes you money and is not just sitting around colllecting dust. Unless it is snow plows, leaf loaders, salt spreader, snow throwers.LOL:hammerhead:
  9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This is the best advice you'll ever get on LawnSite !!