1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do YOU stop the cutting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, May 2, 2004.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

So you start a business cutting grass,,most of us have,,at what dolar mark for cutting grass do you decude that your just going to run estimates and check on the boys and talk to customers and do the books...what dollar mark per week or month,,,do you stop the cutting?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it is up to you. For two years, during the summer months I would come inside and just do estimates and paperwork, and then only go out to do fertilizations, aerations, etc. Well, usually every year that would only last for about 1-2 months because then I got bored and also I didn't have as much money in the pocket so I would go back out into the field more
  3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thats actually pretty simple but ask yourself this question first

1. Am I in a growth mode or a making money mode?

if your in a growth mode then you mow until you have enough accounts for 2 full time employees and then you concentrate on getting more accounts and being the 3rd man until you have enough accounts for 3 full time employees then you concentrate on getting more accounts and so on.

So you really wont get off the mower until you have probably 2 full time crews going.

If you are in a money making mode stay on the mower as long as possible.

Every time you hire an employee it costs you about $500 per week.

Thats all I have to say
  4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

The number of crews you have will have little or no bearing on when you will be able to do strictly administrative work. It all depends on what your profit margin is and what you need to live per year. You can have one efficient crew and a low yearly income need and be ok or you can have half a dozen non-efficient crews and high personal expenses and be headed to bankruptcy. Only you can answer this question.
  5. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

When it stops growing.