When do you Stop!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike's All Season Service, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Mike's All Season Service

Mike's All Season Service LawnSite Senior Member

When do you stop mowing for the year. do you put a date in a letter with the second to last bill letting them know that this will be the last month of mowing?

Whos ready for winter?

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I shift to cleanups in two weeks. The leaves are just starting to fall around here.

As for winter. I cant wait. Everyone thinks I am crazy for firing up the snowblower last week. I hope we get snow. I am expecting to make more money blowing than mowing if we get a few snow falls.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

It depends on mother nature alot, I have seen the grass stop growing here as early as the 3rd week in oct. A couple of years ago I mowed until thanksgiving.

wayne

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Heck with these mild temps and rain rain rain......who knows probably go from 70 to 32 in a single night ...but that's probably whats going to happen in a few weeks....frozen leaves..great fun

5. Mike's All Season Service

I hope that we have a good 4 weeks of leaf season and the drop off to 8'' of snow every 7 days that would be a perfect winter.

Hope everyone is having a great season!:)

6. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

kinda off topic but in your signiture it says a 2500HD with a 10' western plow isnt that beating on your truck? also what do you do with it anyways.

7. Mike's All Season Service

kinda off topic but in your signiture it says a 2500HD with a 10' western plow isnt that beating on your truck? also what do you do with it anyways.

Its actually and 8'6'' with wings and really doesnt drag the front end down at all. i did turn the torsion bars 3 turns so that it wouldnt drop down the front of the truck.

I plow 8 commercial lots that are wide open like a wal-mart for example
    I DONT PLOW WAL-MART THEY ARE TO CHEAP AROUND HERE!!:hammerhead:
    I like the big plow though, it makes quick work of the bigger lots.

My goal is 10 parking lots for this year.
    and 20 residential.

My friend just bought a new backhoe the other day:dancing: so...........
    I will probabaly take on some more commercial accounts.

thanks for the reply

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

agreed...that is a whole lotta plow for that truck. front end has to take a beating with that much weight IMO.

9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

YOU BETTER HOPE FOR MORE THAN 4 WEEKS, I NEED 6 WEEKS FOR HALF MY LIST!;)

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

All depends on the weather. Last year we had our last mowings in late October then right into fall clean ups. Left 7 of those on the table because of 6" of snow that stuck to the ground for 3 weeks. I was getting calls after it all melted for a few days but told them sorry equipments in storage. This time of year though I'm so sick of mowing and look forward to fall clean ups and plowing with my new 06 F-250 xlt with Boss 8'2 V blade.:p