1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When do you trade ZTRs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coyotekid, Jul 27, 2006.

1. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

As the title suggests, when do you trade your big mowers off? Or do you run them to the ground?

On my diesel mower, I'm confident the Kubota engine will be purring long after everything else is worn out, such as the deck.

1000 hours of normal mowing shouldn't be asking much, is it?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Some trade every year or two and some keep them 5,000 hrs.....
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

On a gas mower I would think 1500-2000 hours before an engine may be needed. On your diesel I would hope you would get 2000-3000 hours with good maintence (I may be low on this estimate) Ive never owned a diesel on a mower

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We just fix and replace parts as they need it. Our lazer has 2,200 hours and runs like brand new. The longer you run a unit the better your profit off it was. When the motor blows we will replace it. The machine is still in good shape so no need to replace the entire machine.
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I am confident that my diesel will go - at least - 6000 hours. The rest of the machine, repair as you go.....:usflag:
  6. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel (although I've never owned one)-5000hrs.:)
  7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

When they are incredibly unproductive or in need of to many parts.
  8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to trade mine in right b4 something major breaks:laugh: :laugh: :dizzy:

Now...if I only knew when that was.
  9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

My machines usually are traded out every three years , many many hours but still trade able .I don’t keep equipment until its run in the ground and inoperable. I trade Z-turns off before they are fully depreciated. Selling old equipment that has been depreciated has a recapture tax on the selling price.
  10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I never like to trade anything, I like to just add, I have my 95 walker, and a 2005 Hustler,both of which I will keep, just looking to add. You lose in trade. Walker has close to 3000 and is running better than new (broken in quite well, lol). There is an unfounded "fear" that you will have a lot of down time with older equipment. I recently heard a story of a guy around here with a 70s model Hustler, that has never missed a week of work, the only parts he needed were provided immediately. If you maintain any of the tried and proven brands, you will get 5000 plus hours, 10 to 20 years. My Walker was paid for along time ago, and every time I use it, well, no more depreciation!!!!!!!!