When do you trim Litrope?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

I think that is the correct name......around here we call it monkeygrass.

I have some that has brown edges due to winter burn and I was wondering when the optimal time was to trim it back so it has the good spring growth.

2. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

We always trimmed it in Late January/ Early February in S. Louisiana.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I believe you mean Liriope? :confused:

4. Carolina Cutter

Yep...thats the name.....just went and checked my plant glossary from that 3D Landscape Designer program I bought and saw that I had said it wrong. Dang, I like that program....it even has a pronunciation feature if you do not know how to say a nam of plant.

I was thinking it needed trimming soon, so the spring growth would kick in. This stuff just fills right in and makes quite a nice border and I knwo from my parents having it for years that you can divide it and it will fill right back in and well, if you don't keep after it it takes over.

Thanks for the correction and I will try and get my facts straight before I post next time....... :D

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

North Carolina is about on the same latitude as Oklahoma City. I always trim it short in the early spring, and have great results. Usually we trim it in March.

6. Carolina Cutter

Yea, I'm in Zone 7

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If the brown foliage is from winter burn, the best time to trim it back would be in spring, primarily when you are doing spring cleanups. The only other time I have found brown foliage, are when they are impropery planted in full sun. Liriope, dwarf mondo, or "monkey grass" is best in part sun or shade depending of the variety, this way it maintains its green foliage.

When trimming, don't cut too close to the crowns of the plants or you may hurt new foliage. :)

8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

You can do it now.

9. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I cut some back today.

10. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Late Feb, early March. Don't wait till Spring. You don't want to interrupt the new growth by waiting to long.