When does the soldier course go on? Before...after...during?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by instyle, Apr 25, 2007.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I am just courious as to when the soldier course goes on. To me it seems, if I start with the edge restraint system, then lay the soldier course, then my bricks inside it, cutting them to fit...this seems fast and easy.

What is the best way?

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do it both ways.

Personally, I prefer to leave the soldier until last. Lay the field, mark curves with 1/2" PVC conduit, cut the field, lay in soldiers (cutting as needed), then install the edge restraint on the base (not on the sand) tight to the pavers.

3. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second that! :)

4. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

D Felix said it best.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I use the drawing tool from Pave tech, lay the field, mark and demo saw cut, and drop the soldiers in last. This is sometimes not the best way especially when you have a tight radius, but for gentle curves and straight runs you can't beat this method for efficiency.

6. ChampionLS

I'll second that again!

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Lay your brick first, scribe the outside edges with what you desire, conduit works, so does snap edge restraint. (It works very good) Lay your soldier after. Cuts are cleaner, more accurate, faster, and so on and so on.

8. ChampionLS

I have a funky tool that I've been using for 15 years. It's flexible piece of foam/poly expansion joint used in a concrete application. It seems to work the best in making those french curves, and I can bend it pretty tightly. I've never come across another piece like it, but 1/2 pvc will work great too. You could even use 3/4 or 1/2 black poly irrigation tubing.

9. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

We keep about 100' of three different sizes of conduit in our trailer. The smaller conduit works good for tight curves, but on 200-300 foot long driveways where you just have a very gradual curve you will need a more ridgid pipe to make a nice smooth crisp curve.

10. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Curved Edgepro is great, except that I have to paint the damn thing with locate paint or my crew will install it, then on the next job I'm looking around for my marking strip. Bastards.