When does the stupidity stop?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IN2MOWN, Jun 16, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

So today I am on my way home from work when I notice a guy out with his kid. I assume he owns a company because he has a Great Dane Stander and I have seen a truck with a trailer in his driveway.

He has the kid, who is no more then 4 or so years old up on the top of the Stander near the controls sitting up there while he mows! Blades going and everything!

Now sometimes I will put my kid on the pedestal where you stand and take him up the driveway but there is no way in hell I would have him on top with the blades going.

One false move and that kid falls off in front of the mower and something terrible could happen.

When will people learn????? :hammerhead:

2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

He'll learn when he runs over his 4 year old..

3. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor does this every week on his dixon Z.

4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Slice and dice, man! :drinkup:

5. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Then he sues and some jackoff jury finds great dane responsible and we get stuck with asinine safety features like having to pull the pto switch up while reversing and mowing on my John Deer LX279.

I swear it is only a matter of time before it happens to ZTR's. The next thing you know all the new models will have to have beepers that announce when the ZTR is reversing and/or they will make the reversing speed slow as a snail. I hope Im wrong.

6. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I dont think they would be able to, as you have to pull back one stick to make a 0 degree turn

7. greenred

from IL

Well I meant anytime either side of the ZTR was put into reverse regardless of whether it is turning in its own radius or not.

I never dreamed they would put the asinine feature on my John Deer for reversing while mowing - but they did - in response to law suite/s. Never under estimate the lack of common sense when it comes to law suits, court mandated features, and cooperate knee jerk reactions to them.

I truly hope Im wrong but only time will tell.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

just by-pass the switch on the forward/reverse lever/pedal.

9. greenred

from IL

Right now Im just using a cloths line pin to hold up the pto switch in the fully extended position.

What bothers me is that I should not have to do any such thing in the first place and why I have to do it. But there is not really much you can do about it other then *****.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Deere started putting the reverse safety switch on the garden tractors bacuse a doctor backed over his kid while mowing. The doctor was drinking while mowing too. He sued John Deere.:rolleyes: This is what a dealer told me several years ago.