When does your Blowout Season begin

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AceSprinkleRx, Aug 30, 2005.

1. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Mine are all lining up for the end of October. Seems getting the kids dressed up in costumes for Halloween induces big snows and freezing temps. Everyone is requesting third week of October.

~

2. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

as soon as you can get people to start so that you have less to do later and can fit them in... but if you aren't going to fill up the schedule I'd say enough people should be done watering by the beginning of October

You don't want to be doing them in November when you have to take a torch to the backflow preventer to loosen up the slush... by the way... there has got to be a better method for this?

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

When I was not self-employed and had 6-700 to do, it started early. Around here, hard freezes begin around OCT 15, so above ground backflows need to be dry by then. On a side note to that, if your small, like I am now, you can drain the backflow and kill the water and blow the rest later when your doing all the inground or in side backflow systems. I turn these back on for a min. price if we get warm again in late OCT or early NOV too. Nothing wrong w/ double dipping if you can get away with it. The last 5 years, we didn't need to winerize anything until after Christmas, but I won't go into the Holidays without having them all off. Murphy and me get along way to good to have a system out there that could be frozen with a wild out of the blue cold snap on DEC 25 or 26. You have to know your systems. PVB's on the wrong side of the house will freeze if the temps drop down into the mid 20's overnight. Same PVB that is protected might not freeze if the overnight low is 15. You need around 1" of frost in the ground to make blowing systems out tough. I personally think systems blow better cold (that surface tension and physics stuff we discussed in the other thread). A one or two day snap of hard freezes won't bite you. That cold front that slips in and won't go away is one you have to be on top of. Get those that don't care done early. Save a list of "renovated lawn, likes to water late, new sod or seed, just installed it - let'em use it a while" type of accounts to winterize at the last minute. Keep the list short enough that you can add those late callers. Now, with all that said, when do I start? You got to ask the MAN, and he seems to enjoy keeping me on my toes about WHEN.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'm starting Oct. 5th. I have a lot of rentals I want off early since the tenants don't know how to shut down and drain. Oct. 15, 1997 we got a 3 foot blizzard. Shut the whole city down. We will go until appx. Nov 15-20.

5. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I will start the last week of september, the reason for this is cooler temps, and less sunlight let the average amount of rainfall be enough for most of my clients lawns, I have never seen the effects of a dry october bother anyone but the commercial lawn cutters