When does your mowing season end?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Sep 24, 2000.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well this might seem like a stupid question but it is one i dont know so .....I was wondering what stops the grass from growing, a frost or freeze or ??? We are experincing cool temps in southern Indiana with a frost to come this week. In years past we mowed up until mid November, however we didnt experince the cool temps like now. When do you guys wrap up mowing???? Thanks!
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

In my area(Delaware) thinsg slow down dramaticly around the last week in October. Then just the highly maintained (fertilized) lawns need cuting.
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Actually its the decrease in solar radiation which causes the grass to stop growing, that and frozen ground...

Weekly cuttings here in southern new england stop around last week of october, then maybe two more cuttings (depending on leaf cover, snowfall) til thanksgiving when the mower retired to the back of the garage.
  4. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

As long as it stays above 52 and the lawn is watered and fertilized, there is no off season in south Fla. We slow down to twice monthly till March. Then it's crazy time till the end of November.
  5. zimm4

zimm4 LawnSite Member

About the middle of november depending on the weather.
    This year will be early.

6. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Our seasonal contracts expire the last week of October. After that its $xx.xx/cut. Usually have a number of lawns to cut for the first couple weeks of November followed by fall cleanups.
  7. dhicks

dhicks Member

I would love to mow until the end of November and keep the extra income flowing. However, I don't know about you all, but I'm ready for winter. I need a break where I can return to a 24 work week.
  8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Octember 45th is somewhere between October 30th and November 15th. It depends on how warm it stays here in the Chicago area, if it was fertilized and watered or amount of rain.
  9. script

script LawnSite Member

In southeast Louisiana, I cut weekly from about April 1st, until around mid October, then go every other week until about Christmas. Then it's once every 3 to 4 weeks until mid to late Feb. which starts every other week until April. Unless we have a cold winter and we wouldn't cut as often from Nov. to March, but we've had mild winters for the past few years.

10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

here in MO i mow 32+ - weeks a year, the leaf season(part of the 32) lasts untill about mid december. 2 years ago we mowed up untill x-mass on most lawns. Last year it was a but sooner.