When Government Contracts Suck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Sep 6, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

This is when government contracts suck(and I know cause I have a TON of them). First time it has ever happened but it still sucks. We start cutting the first of over 300 acres of government contracts we have to cut this week early this morning. I have a key so the crew I use can get to our prop and start cutting around 6:30AM before the property manager arrives at 8:30. We are about 2 hours into cutting and the manager arrives and comes running at me waving his arms. I pull over and he tells me that he got a fax at 4Pm on Friday that the government had "suspended" all departmental and contract mowing in the entire State of NC until 9/15/05 due to the "gas shortage". I say okay but that came out before the pipelines through NC were reopend and are now running at 100% (and I know this because I had just purchased $310.00 worth of gas) so let me call directly to the Purchasing Officer....sure enough, "oh yeah we forgot to call you, suspend all mowing until 9/15 unless we contact you back before then with a change".......so we load the old 20' trailer back up and pile in and come back to the shop cause ALL we cut on Tues & Wed (normally Mon & Tues, changed for the Holiday this week) is Gov props. On the way back in 4 other gov prop managers call my cell to let me know.....oh well, whats $10K lost during these two weeks I guess... :cry:

2. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

so they just don't pay you for that? man I cant imagine signing a contract like that.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sucks not working :D :D :D

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

They should still have to pay. What does your contract say?

5. MMLawn

So I'm guessing none of you have government contracts. This is the down side to them. It happens very rarely, but it happened today as I said. They are 3 years in length in most cases, are bid out, and you must be a registered Vendor with the Government, and are priced per year, BUT payment is are based on cuts performed each month up to the max allowed under the contract. So, no cut, no pay.

6. MMLawn

I'm trying to be like you old man... :p

7. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Classic example of why I refuse to have any one contract equal more than 3% of my total workload.
    Good luck...

8. MMLawn

I agree, as this is only around 10% of my companies total workload money wise and 40% commercial turf area wise. The only difference is that I use two "dedicated" crews for this on Mon & Tues only.

9. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Also, what happens when you have to double and triple cut and mulching makes it look like crap because you havent cut for three weeks?

10. MMLawn

Fortunately that probably won't happen cause our last rain was 2 weeks ago and we are 8" behind. But as I said the Contract is based on Per Cut billing up to the max amount of the total bid so if we did ever have too double cut then we bill for 2 cuts.