when hauling is your truck on overdive or is overdrive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i usually drive with my overdrive on (which is normal driving) but my dad told me that i should be driving with it off (stays in gear longer) and i wanted to know what do u all do?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

OVERDRIVE.... Whats that?

I have old fashioned trucks (3sp Automatics)

But even if I did have one of those modern OD Autos, I'd probably not get into OD in my route.

As long as your tranny isn't hunting in and out of OD, you'll most likely be fine.

Depends on what truck you have and how heavy your towing.

3. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

when towing, I shift from drive into 3rd gear. Saves the tranny from shifting back and forth.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Are we talking a newer Chevy? Tow/Haul Mode?
    If yes, you don't need to have tow/haul on all the time, depends on the load.

If you are talking a regular automatic transmission, it depends if when you are in OD , does it keep shifting down? If yes, then leave it in 3rd. If it doesn't then the tranny is fine.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

As HighGrass stated, depends on vehicle.
    What kind and year of vehicle.
    Automatic or standard tranny.

For the most part, newer vehicles should stay in normal driving mode, sensors detect loads/weights and adjust to a point. Most suggest using other drive modes only in slippery conditions (ice or snow) for short periods of time and at reduced speeds.
    If you are towing something you're concerned about being too heavy of a load to start out from a dead stop with tranny in normal drive, you may be over the vehicles load limit anyway.
    One way to tell (about load weight) if load is effecting vehicle in a negative way,and you don't know weight, would be to drive vehicle for a reasonable distance (highway best) with and without the load.
    Watch temperature gauge, if load causes temp to increase more than just a few degrees at most, you're probably trying to haul too much.

Older/earlier models of transmissions with overdrive had a switch on the column to be activated only after reaching cruising speed.

Suggest checking out the owners manual for vehicle. If that is not available, you can check with a vehicle dealer (not a salesman, someone that has been working on trannys for a few years), a good transmission shop, or search internet for auto forums.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I tow in overdrive (switch on - F-150). My owners manual says to so that's what I'm doing.

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Straight drive using my 89 Bronco.

8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Overdrive off. On my F-250 it is a push button on the shifter on the steering column. When you push the button, a small off light comes on.

9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Over Drive OFF in my vehecial.................Except for long trips.

Over drive in my truck just gives the 3spd Automatic 4th gear.

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

OD off when pulling trailer. Switch to OD on interstate when up to speed.