1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When/how to bid (commercial) jobs for 2013

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BC1230, Sep 3, 2012.

1. BC1230

BC1230 LawnSite Member

Ok last post before I go back to lurking again. How do you break into the commercial side of this business. Just walk in to any possible business ask who runs the joint and start talking business? I heard december is a good time to start prospecting? I dunno. I have a HOA I think I have locked down for next year(as far as price), but looking to bite off a little more. I dunno, restaurants, banks gas stations etc... Any people out there who have some knowledge on this subject??
  2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Reputation, web presence and prospecting. Prospecting any time.
  3. its under your nose and you don't realize it.
  4. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

There is nothing better to me than the year round service agreement. However, two things I have learned over the past few years is usually its best to pick up a contract exactly when the previous landscaper ends. I like that all my contracts don't end on the same month. That could potentially be a recipe for disaster. I like for mine to start during the season. I've learned that sometimes even with good service, people will not renew a service agreement in the off season just to save a few months.
  5. KYMan

KYMan LawnSite Member

Commercial accounts are bottom of the barrel around here....going for $10-$15/acre....one large 40 acre park is done for $8.25/acre. People are pretty much scrambling to make any extra money no matter how little.
  6. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that is absolute garbage. Who would cut an acre for a price that low? The fuel alone has gotta be half that. I'm glad i dont live where your at, sounds like WAY to many low ballers that are shooting themselves in the feet just to think they have a paying job.

On another note, I'm guessing most guys go search for commercial accounts towards the end of the mowing season, maybe november? And latest February?
  7. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

around here we go looking for plow accounts around mid sept to mid oct, then mowing accounts etc in mid feb to mid march.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

YES. Just walk right in, ask who's in charge of this, and then ask for an appoment.
    Fuel stations are a GREAT liabilety, stores are kind of the same, I would steer clear of them.

if and when you get an apponment be prepaired, have in hand a company profile, and bank sttements, and of corse cert of insurance, at lease 1 million.

fine out what's the largest issue there having, or have had with other companys, concerns, and what they see for the future.

Best of luck