When in Rome...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutntrim, Aug 2, 2000.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

What height are you Northern guys cutting at? We've been at 3 1/8&quot; but the grass is &quot;lying down&quot; with all the damn rain so we've lowered our decks like all the professional scalpers around here. Actually we're going to cut at 2 1/2&quot; now, not 2&quot; or less, like most other companies.<p>Besides most of our customers are always asking for it to be cut shorter anyhow, and they're the ones paying me so...<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

2. Jim White

Jim White LawnSite Member

With the way the weather been around here in western Mass everything is still growing. I'm still cutting at springtime settings of 2 to 2 3/4&quot;. I usally decide on the actual cut height for that week when I see how much growth we had. It also depends on the lay of the land, to avoid scalping at all cost.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on the lawn (thanx to exmark's floating adjustable deck!) I cut either 2 1/2 or 3 inches. If it were a hot dry summer they would all be at 3 or 3 1/2 by now. Its like May 2 all over again!!!<p>Bill

4. cuttin

cuttin LawnSite Member
    from nj

3&quot;-no exceptions.

5. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

In the Spring at 2 1/2&quot;.<br>In the Summer at 3&quot;<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance ;)

6. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

Typically a 3&quot; cut, with a couple customers that request 2.5&quot;. Never less than 2.5&quot; Tho.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We've been cutting at 3.25 and 3.5 on our non irrigated sites because it was really getting dry here in central Michigan. Some even went to 3.75. Now that we've got all this rain, I'm still staying at 3.5 for a while just to be safe.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

2.5&quot; is the lowest we ever cut. Now that it's hot, we cut at 3.5 to 4&quot; on a lot of lawns. 3&quot; is the lowest when it's hot.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

9. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Since putting my Exmark in the field, I cut most lawns at 2.5&quot;. I used to butcher lawns, by request, with my 21&quot; push mower but I'm changing the rules this year. I've had some feedback, customers asking to have the lawn cut lower than that, but I've explained to them that cutting higher is best for the lawn, and most are respecting my wisdom at this point. <p>Another one I owe to Lawnsite... :)<p>-TGC

10. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

the low is 3&quot; with most at 3.5 to 4&quot; have a lot of fescue