When is a good time to send a letter for a commercial property?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MJK, Jun 21, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I want to send a letter to some Property Management companies to submit bids for next year. When is the best time to do this? September? Thanks.
  2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to know this also.
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Most commerical contracts begin in January...I will be sending my letters/ads out about one month before. It is best to call and find out when they start to take bids though.
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, January and Febuary are when most of them start thinking about it here.
  5. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

I did this last year, sent out 200 + letters, cost me a grip of money between letterhead and whatnot, and three people called. One for snowplowing (don't do and was not in the letter), one for bids (who gave me a bad phone# and bad fax) and one for bids, three of which were given to me. I sent the letters in october, set up a meeting with one of the managers in november, didnt hear from him all winter, and then had three signed contracts in march. i'm just outside of chicago.

if i was you, i'd drive around and figure out which apartments you'd like to bid on and usually they have signs on them. make a list of contact info for properties you would like and target those companies, and specifically mention the ones you want.

then wait.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

yesterday, today and tomorrow. You want the work you need to stay on there azz and in there mind when it comes time for bids
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I am 90% commercial, maintain over 700 acres of commercial property all over the State of NC and I have never sent a letter to anyone.

It is also a "myth" that most commercials start in January. As a matter of fact only one of ours does and the rest are all over the place month wise.
  8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree, there is no bad time as Olderthandirt mentioned. The best time is when they are setting budgets for the following year. Around here companies set budgets in the mid to late fall for the following year. Bear in mind this is excluding restaurants, and business's of this type.
    For corporate places find out when budgets are being set for the following year and cold call, send letters, offer references, etc. Often around here bids are for multi-year contracts.
    First of year, maybe some but not most.
  9. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at condo complexs and subs. Will this make a difference?
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

No. They too will bid out in whatever month their budget (fiscal year) runs. They are also (HOA) some of the biggest PITA to work with there are. So bad in my opinion that I refuse to even return their calls when they contact us wanting us to bid.