When is a good time to send out flyers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bkdlawnCo, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

I was wondering what is a good time to send flyer's out for the next season. I'm in the Northeast so i was thinking the end of January or the beginning of February. Most of my contracts will not begin till May with the exception of several residential and all commercial accounts.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When you say "send", what do you mean? send by mail? I wouldn't do that. if you are going to put out flyers, the best way to gain customers is to really lay them out. Got any teenage nieces or nephews that would want to make a few bucks? Have them walk the neighborhoods you want to target. The more you lay out, obviously the better chance you'll have to get someone to call you. People say that you shouldn't stop advertising all year long, that any time you can advertise. But for us, we wait until the beginning of March. That is when we have found that most people actually start thinking about spring and lawncare services.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting to put out flyers now. I figure that if they see my flyer now and then I flyer some of the same neighborhoods each month, the people will get used to seeing my name. If they do not call now, maybe my name will be the one they remember from the flyers and will call me in March/April when the grass starts growing and they need to have it cut...
  4. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting in march.
  5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remember the old saying..."the early bird catches the worm". It's amazing how many people are easily persuaded to spend money in Feb. Tax returns + Valentine's Day = potential advertisement.
  6. fltdek

fltdek LawnSite Member

Here's something to consider when distributing flyers by canvasing neighborhoods, a good friend of mine who was a DM for Kinkos said that in their research, people are more apt to retain (place on refridge, ect.) flyers that are 1/2 page or 1/4 page - plus, you get more flyers for the money. My Flyers are going out after Jan 1st, and I usually throw in an incentive (discount of some sort - like 10th cut free or a 10% discount for new clients) if they respond within specified time frame. Worked well for me last year, had very good responses.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search because this has been brought up several times/:waving:
  8. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

9. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

The full page ads around here that I've been seeing are really bad. I put out 1/4 page ads this year (post cards) so we'll see what response rate I get. I do direct mail and put cards out door to door at specific developments. I start in February, none the less start now!
  10. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Personally, while we are always eager to start the season and begin advertising as soon as possible, most customers are only looking for someone when the need is there - the grass is growing. I don't personally advertising til mid-april. The people looking now are usually price shoppers (multiple quotes) and they are few and far between. The early bird may get the worm, but only if there are worms out. If there is snow on the ground, don't bother advertising. You will do better later.