1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When is BEST time of year for DOOR HANGERS?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tyler7692, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello all. I am relatively new to the business and I was wondering about how effective you guys think door hangers are? Do you have much success with them?

What time of year do you think is best to put them out (in Indiana)? February? January? March?
  2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Indiana is like Ohio I would say March. It is best to send them to home owners when the weather starts to turn good. Also you might want to do a direct mail to them maybe around 2 weeks before that way you get your name into their minds.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Gatewayuser is right. About 2-3 weeks before the season starts for new spring customers. Another good time is mid to late summer. A lot of folks are ready to switch then or their current lco is quitting/going back to school. Personally, I pick up more new clients in August/September than the spring.
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

The absolute BEST time is when the consumer is sitting home, thinking to themselves "Hmmm, I wonder who I could get to mow my lawn". I know its a shot in the dark, but I think this is the BEST time.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

depending on how many you plan on putting out.

I would suggest starting 30 days prior to season starting and then continuing through out the year, especially in areas where you already have clients to increase your density.

if you are not putting out a ton, then I would wait a little later, or just spread out the distribution.
  6. Promow Professional

Promow Professional LawnSite Member

I personally have had better luck with advertising in local newspapers. Fliers have not been that good to me and it can be a pain walking door to door when all you have to do is call the local paper. I have received a lot more calls from the paper than I have fliers. Regardless of how you do it people most of the time don't call for lawn service in advance. People usually wait until the yard has growed up and they don't want to do it thereself. This is when you will get your calls