1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

when is best time to spot spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by yergus, Jan 25, 2003.

1. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

a friend of mine tells me that he cuts the lawn, then when he is done he spot sprays for crab grass, nutsedge and all the other weeds. he says he always does it and it works as good as the way i have been doing it (two days after cutting)
    i was told that when a lawn is cut it goes dormant for two days and that the chemicals work only when the grass is growing.
    some one that knows for sure please help
    can you spray right after mowing
    do you wait the two days then spot spray.
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

The best time might be two hours before you cut. The more leaf surface the more chemical gets to the plant. Most chemicals will get into the plant in two hours time.

What is best in theory is not always practical. What your buddy loses in chemicals is gained in time. Only Mother Nature is the loser because he must do it again to get all the weeds.

I try and spot spray 4-5 days after cutting.
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you run some risk of injuring the grass if it is sprayed right after mowing, especialy in hot weather. From an efficiency pint this might the way to go but I would hat to come back the next week to see little brown patches everywhere I had srayed a weed. Also the weeds are harder to spot right after they are cut.
    I try to do my spraying the same time I put down fertilizer if the wind lets me. Otherwise I try to time it between cuts.

I do hit the weeds in the cracks in the drives and walks about once a month w/roundup at mowing time.
  4. If you can get the chem on the plant, it makes no difference if it's 3 days after, 3 days before or 3 minutes after.

Just don't do it when it's to hot.

I find it better to get past the canopy applicating after a lawn has been mowed.

It also depends on what weeds you are treating.