1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When is enough enough

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MysticLandscape, May 31, 2006.

1. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Been working all out the last few weeks. I am now up to 52 lawn accounts. I am still in school till 2 PM eveyday and cut till 8 PM tuesday-friday. If I get one rain day I am thrown all out of wack. My workers have been giving me trouble about comming to work the past few weeks. What suggestions do you veterans have to make things go more smoothly?

If you guys would like to know more let me know.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO you need to dump the workers and do them yourself. Work monday through friday from say 2:30 till 7:30 go home take a shower and get your school work done the rest of the evening. 1 man can do 52 lawns a week by himself in 5-6 hour days. If for some reason you cant then work saturdays. Or even work saturdays to ease your work load during the week so you can concentrate on your school work. No need to pay people to work for you and you know the job gets done right.
  3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Man 52 accounts while in school? I don't want that headache.

How much are you paying your guys and how many do you have? Does he work with you tuesday-friday or just some of those days?

I'd like to know more...
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just think priorities and quality man, On one hand you have school which is important on the other hand you have customers who depend on you as well as a source of income. My thoughts are dont mess up school, Ive made that mistake once before, what it came down to was limiting my service area, I shrunk the area down to a couple of close towns, I dont need to be traveling 20 mins away like other guys I know to cut lawns, why not concentrate on several local towns and make a tight profitable route that I can handle no matter what the conditions are and still focus on school, not having to sit in class worrying about how Im going to work in Mr. Jones lawn this week. Why get a reputation of being undependable this early in the game, why not get the honorable rep. of being that kid cutting these lawns, doing a great job, and attending school as well.

5. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

1 man couldn't do 52 of my yards.

Of course, some are multiple acre yards with 1+hr of trimming and some are commercial bank yards that take 2+hrs with edging, trimming, and trash pickup.
  6. MysticLandscape

I pay them $10 which is better than 9 out of 10 kids in my school. They do work with me tue-friday and as needed on the other days. I think that in the next few weeks things should slow down.
  7. MysticLandscape

I have a tight route. 40 of my accounts are within 8 miles of my house. Then things is traffic, when I am out mowing it is the most congested part of the day. A simple 4-6 mintues ride turns into a 12 mintue ride all the time. :dizzy:
  8. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

i wish my accounts were tighter, ive got accounts in 4 cities and have less than 15 lawncare accounts. good thing i rely on hardscape/landscape for the big profits.