when is it safe to cut new sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sicnj, May 18, 2006.

1. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

new sod layed 1 week ago, and its getting long can i cut with a 21"

2. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

with a push mower it should be ok..............................IF part of each piece has rooted a little. i dont believe a push mower can suck up the sod but it can definatley push it around and make a mess. pull up on the corners of a several pieces of sod and you will get the idea. you can always string trim it. unfortunaly i have string trimed many a yard in my day it can be done and still look pretty nice. no stripes though. betcha someone has figured that one out.

3. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

actually it was only layed a week ago, id wait a couple more weeks and trim it the mean time or bag it when you can cut it.

4. sicnj

so wait 3 weeks
    its looking kinda shabby now it will be knee hi in 2 weeks

5. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I'd rather have it high and looking a little shabby, instead of scalped and missing pieces that the mower ate.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Too soon to cut it best to wait for it to get a good foot in the ground 1st.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3-4 weeks, cut with string trimmer and lightly rake clippings

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

when you can grab a handful of grass and the grass rips instead of lifting the sod. Then you can cut it.

before that like rod said, line trimmer.

before you lay the sod you should let the clients know it will not be mowed for 3 -5 weeks and that you will string trim it after 2 or 3 as growth demands.

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i always go by the 2 week rule of thumb, we only use 21's... and the first time i kick the wheels up as high as they can go.

if it gets to high, it'll turn brown after you cut it.

10. sicnj

thanks everyone