When is it to late?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bodypilot, May 24, 2004.

1. bodypilot

bodypilot LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I'm wondering what all of your experiences have been passing out flyers. Seems to me that the best time to hit them would be in the spring. Right about the time the grass is starting to grow. But I've also been thinking that a lot of people might decide on a lawn care company now that it's getting hot outside. Would this time of year be a waste of effort to distribute flyers? What do you all think? Or can you pretty much pick up customers all through out the year on flyers?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I don't think so. You now want to target customers that also have LCO's. You want to say something like, "Not happy with your current lawn care company." Something like that

3. bodypilot

The reason I'm asking is because I plan on passing out more flyers than I ever have in the next few days. I'm gonna pay a buddy of mine to cover one side of the streets while I cover the other. Hopefully I'm not to late.

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I intend on going door to door and talking one on one with people. This way i can emphassize how much better of a job we do then their current company and i say about how we lay down a nice stripe pattern (none of the local lawn companies seem to know about stripes). I figure this late in the season its quality that gets the customers, I ride around and see lawns that are getting pretty tall and i see they had commercial mowers cut it so i stop and give them a flyer because their company has too many clients and cant keep up.

5. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

This is my thought exactly. And that it may be about the time that some frustration is setting in with unhappy customers that have LCOs due to feeling like they are being ignored or not getting the attention they want. So I have 5k fliers going out on Friday.

Oh, and it took me this long to bite the bullet on the cost... :(

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm swamped with new customers just from people walking up to me while I'm working. The best part is, they are neighbors of current customers, so no extra stops.

7. EZTarget

Ya know that reminds me of a question I thought of today. Those that do advertise regularly do you readvertise in the same area?

Lets say I distro 5k fliers and pick up 10 accounts (yea right). Would you redistribute in the same area at a later time to keep your route tight? I think it is all timing on this so while they may not bite the first time, they may the next.

8. bodypilot

How in the world do you guys distribute 5000 flyers?!?! Are you hiring a crew to do this for you? All these are door to door?

9. EZTarget

oh yea. i aint tryin that myself. where i am there are many companies that do this. aint too cheap but i figure my time could be better spent elsewhere. it will take ~50 man hours to do this based on ~100 houses per person per hour.

10. bodypilot

Well, i'm off with a stack of 800 flyers for today. Gonna give my buddy some cash to come along. I really, really hate this part of the job. Door to door, to door, to door.......... :dizzy: OBOY!