when is it too late to seed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by godjwood, Oct 8, 2009.

1. godjwood

godjwood LawnSite Member
    from RI

Hi,

I live in RI, and I'm not sure when it is too late to seed (over seed or seed new lawns)

I already stopped end of last week, as I am afraid it is going to get too cold. But I feel like some people seed later than this.

What is your input?

2. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I am way out in Western PA. You are a little further north but also should get some warming from the ocean so I think our seeding season should be pretty similar. I usually seed until November 1st. This year has been colder than most so I may stop a week or so before usual. I have seeded into mid November but there can be problems if it is an early winter and colder than usual. Once it really gets cold then I can dormant seed, even over the snow and usually that works out fine.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Too cold to seed here in Upper Midwest and expect germination. Last good seeding here was 3rd week of Sept. All that remains is dormant seed if you so choose....

4. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

Yes, but will the "dormant seed" come up in the spring the same as if you would have seeded in the Spring?

5. Turboguy

If you seeded right now it would probably fail unless we get a long warm spell which doesn't seem likely this year.

Wait a while and the odds are good there would be a great stand of new grass in the spring. The problem with seeding now is that enough of the grass would probably germinate but never get strong enough and large enough to survive the hard winter freezes. Once there is no chance of it germinating then the seed should sit there just fine and come up in the early sping.

6. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

So when would be an ideal time for dormant seeding?

7. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

I just read an article that indicated that February was the best month for dormant overseeding. I will try to find it again and post it.

8. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

But I could never seed in February. There's snow on the ground then.

9. Turboguy

I would say anytime after the first of December.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead and seed now.
    Two years ago a customer had his lawn ripped out and redone by a company I recommended. After they got started it rained for 3 weeks and they could not get equipment on the dirt. Finally seeded it Oct 19. Then it got really cold. Very very slow. But a quarter inch high in 2 weeks, about 2 inches high by Thanksgiving--few days of 55 degrees followed--and finally mid-December about 4 inches high. First mowing last week of April. Looked Ok by June. Looked great by July. Mixture had some crappy intermediate (annual) rye. But the perennial rye (Blazer IV) and later the bluegrass (Bronco) came on strong.