When is it worth it? (big mower)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shilohlandscaping, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

I have just started a couple of months ago and things are going as planned. I have enough jobs to do a couple of afternoons a week and plan to ramp up as needed over the winter and spring.. (cut all year here in norcal). Anyway, most lawns here are small.. 500 to 1000 sq ft.. with some as large as 2000 or a bit more, so to start I bought a new Toro Proline 21". I recently started cutting a larger property which has 15000 sq. ft. of lawn and the Toro handles this (mulching) in an hour and the client pays for my time accordingly. I actually enjoy it as the toro is a great machine plus the client raves about how much better the lawn looks now... his last LCO was the sloppiest, non-caring, uncut strip leaving, sprinklerhead breaking crew I've ever come across.

I am not really planning to take on more lawns of that size, but some of the neighbors of that client are starting to ask them questions so I'd like to know when it will be profitable for me to buy a bigger WB mower? How many lawns of that size before its too much for the 21"?

TIA and sorry for the longish post..

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Buy a larger mower. Regardless of how fun it might be just starting out its gonna get old real quick. One other thing to live by, never trash other landscapers, you dont know the circumstances and every new company someone gets is ALWAYS much better than the old one. There are companies that do bad business but bad things happen to all good companies and unless you know people personally its not a good idea to trash people, everyone is out trying to make a buck and trying to do a good job doing it. (for the most part)Im sure the last company would laugh if they heard some kid with a pushmower making fun of there company. Good luck

3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto, nepatsfan hit it on the head. When you look at new mowers demo allot. We are big Toro fans, but you would be surprised on how different WB's handle. PR

4. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

Thanks for the advice, I am thinking about investing in a Toro WB..

"Im sure the last company would laugh if they heard some kid with a pushmower making fun of there company."

I'm not a kid and have 20+ years experience as landscape manager for a large winery as well as handling the homes of the owners, winemaker, and a few others on the side. I decided do a tech startup 7 years ago and have finally divested myself of that headache and am returning to something I actually enjoy doing. This sector of the business is a bit different from working in the wine industry where I could pretty much buy what I needed. My question, from a business point of view, was how many large mowing acounts would it take to make a 3k peice of equipment pay for itself?

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Its not how many accounts you have now, its how many you plan to have. If you want your business to grow you need to have a 48 inch mower( i dont reccomend the 36 although some guys would for your first mower) just make sure you take on accounts that you can get in a gate with a 48. I stand by what i say about trashing other landscapers. The other company would probably laugh harder if they saw some forty year old guy with twenty years experience and a push mower making fun of them. Bottom line...Do a good job and dont worry about what other people say or do!!

6. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Shil my lawns are the small like yours. I bought a husky and a toro super recycler cause I thought the proline was to much and to heavy a mower for lawns this small. Do you find it to heavy when you have to turn so much to be worth it or is it the perfect tool for the job? Im also getting bigger properties and thinking of getting a bigger mower but Ill wait till I get a couple more big ones to take the plunge. Good luck.