When is somebody going to make a gear drive Stander??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Aug 1, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Gravely could do it. Imagine a gear drive Pro Stance with the quick adjust deck and Pro Steer controls. Thing about a gear drive Pro Stance would be, they would be able to sell it at like $3200-$3500 for the 32"/36" machines. That would be pretty Snazzy huh??

2. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I have to disagree..based on my experience with Belt drives (my experience alone) the extra money for a hydro is WELL worth it!

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Down here, virtually nobody uses hydros. There's a big market for something like that here.

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Be the first. It's not that hard.

1: Remove handlebars and associated blah, blah, blah.
    2: Fashion a platform to stand on out of 3/4" angle iron and expanded metal. Put it as close the back of the frame as possible.
    3: Reinstall handlebars and associated blah, blah, blah about 1 foot forward of where they were. It may take a few tries to get it right. You may (will) need to fashion a plate out of 1/8" steel to mount the handlebars to and attach it to the old rear frame where the handlebars mounted before.

I think that this would only be about a 6 to 10 hour job. Think outside the box when you fab stuff up like this. I'm currently working on steering for SD drive mowers like the Ferris and Quick mowers. Think Go Kart.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

there allready is one -its called a sulky

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah. That's too easy. We build stuff just to build stuff. Like converting a gear drive Crapsman mower to hydro. That was pretty easy. Some stuff works and some stuff don't. I keep my best, most productive invention to myself. It's never been seen or talked about here at Lawnsite.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

That is kinda what I was thinking.

9. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Until now. . .:laugh:

A gear driven stander would also be a good deal cheaper than a hydro. . . I'd definitely be interested.

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

hahah NICE!