1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When is spring coming?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Feb 24, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am getting sick of this winter. I have the start of my spring clean ups scheduled to start the 7th of March, but right now it doesn't look that will happen. We are supposed to get another snow storm here on Sunday into Monday, so far minimum of 5 inches I hear. We already have 8+ inches on the ground right now. This might actually go down as the latest that I will ever start my spring clean ups. I usually always start on the second or third week in March, but I am not getting my hopes up this year.
  2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I always want to start ASAP after the 1st wk of march, but it always seems to go until about the 12th or 15th or so. Don't have to start weekly maint. until 3rd full week of april or so anyway so should have about a month. I always get antsy too, but I'll take as many snow storms as I can get :drinkup: (to a point, then it can all melt in one day and be 60 degrees).
  3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Have a couple of clean ups scheduled tomorrow. Some mowing other than bermuda should start in a week or so. We have had lots of rain lately and the temps should be 50-70 for highs.
  4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

28 days till spring
  5. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

73 here today but rainning, we have never quit mowing this year..lol but we dont make all that big money plowing snow like u guys do..
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I want it to snow. As you know, I love snow, I love the $ in snow. I HATE HATE HATE cutting lawns, oh, did I mention, I HATE CUTTING LAWNS!!!! Im thinking right now, of just doing landscaping and plowing. And getting a parttime job some where so when im not landscaping ill have $ coming in. And then in the winter just plow and not have a part-time job. I am not looking foward to spring AT ALL.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Tired of seeing the white stuff, just took this picture this evening.....

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Would prefer to see some green and red........

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

This winter Ive made more each month, than I have each month in the cutting season. I make more in the winter, less hours (usually), and more money, and its ALOT more fun, IMO. Snow removal gives me a rush, and I just love getting all antsy before a storm. Whereas cutting is just the same crap over and over again and it doesnt give me the rush/excitement like snow removal does. Plus, with doing snow, your in and out inl ike 5 minutes, get $75 for that 5min. Compared to $25 at a house with a lawnmower when It takes like 15mintues. So figure two snow storms a month and your grossing more than cutting lawns and you have ALOT more off time.

sorry, I just had to rant. Im in a really bad mood this week so ya. Ill basically say anything negative today/this week without caring. Sorry, just gotta rant and get my thoughts outta my system. Ya know, why pay for a counsler, when theirs lawnsite. LMAO. To start off, im tryin to sell my truck, but it wont quit braking (new trans, oil pump, rear main, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, brakes, o2 sensor, fuel filter, (like 5 grand in the past 6months put into it) and NOW YESTERDAY THE FREAKING Fuel PUMPS!!!) Its been like $1000 each month in repairs sense I got it. But its like a new truck now... Oh, and to top it off my own friggen customer BACKED into it on MONDAY and dented it. Then on top of that crap, people want to come look at it, but I cant let them until it gets the new fuel pumps put in. With what I paid for it + repairs, its now like a $10,000 truck in the past 6months, and Ill be lucky to get $4500 outta it, so im taking a major loss on it. Man oh man it sucks.

Anyway, let me sell my truck, buy me NEW one ,and let it snow, let it freaking snow. Then give me like 100 customers and new mowing equipment and a bobcat skidsteer and then make it april and let me be happy. LOL.

Im gonna start goin to church.

Damn, sorry for ranting. Didnt mean to diminish your thread bro. :cool2:

Well to top your post off, Ill post some pics of some feb. stripes at a house when I drove by the other day. I just had to take pic's of some feb stripes, ya know.
  10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Your are all lucky if all you have to do is wait a couple of weeks to start. Last year i didn't start cutting till the middle of May. :waving: