when is the best speed to engage your pto

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SPENCER HUNTER, Oct 19, 2007.

1. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

well i have a 07 hustler,,, at what speed do you need the engine running at before you turn on your electric pto,, some say half at no load,,, i think i goofed i turn it on just above idle,, the deck belt jumped off,,,:confused:

2. VP Landscape LLC

VP Landscape LLC LawnSite Member

what model hustler do you have? i just bought a trimstar this year and i havent had any problems yet..

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes,...you have to haveenough r's to substantially power it, so there isn't too much "jump" from te shock. We have always engaged ours at around 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, and vary it when running doubles. The key is how to shut it DOWN to save the clutch life, because THIS is where the vast majority of the wear occurs. The idea is to lower the r's and let the blades slow all the way before disengaging the PTO. There is much less friction and drag on the disk then, and therefore, does not wear on the air gap. This was told to me by a tech at Warner.

4. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

You Asked Which Hustler Mower Do I Have, It Is The New 07 Hustler Mini -z 42 Inch Cut 19hp Kaw Engine

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Like Runner said.

Engage the PTO at the lowest rpm you can without stalling.

Disengage at idle speed when possible.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I usually engage from 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. My 31 hp Briggs will easily engage at idle if that's what I want and the 27 Kohler will slightly above an idle.

7. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I have the exact same mower and it does the same ****! Check the spring tension under the deck get it real tight and engage the blades at atleast half throttle! I kept throwing belts too. When you engage the pto look at the belt while you have the cover off and see if the belt flexes. If it flexes its either not enough tension or not enough throttle. Hope this helps. It can be very aggrivating:dizzy:

8. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Does the manual recommend a throttle setting for engaging the PTO? Usually, the people that build the mowers, figure these things out at the factory during testing, and that is how they know what to put in the manuals for recommending operation and servicing.

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

dealers always told me to engage at full throttle but cant see that being good for them. i usually do it at 1/2 throttle

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I've never heard that on a brand I have owned. What does the manual say?