1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When is the best time of year to purchase new equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by littlenic, Sep 5, 2003.

1. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

When is the best time of the year to purchase new equipment?
    I could hold off a few months while I get all of the paper work required completed,
    Business cards and form printed etc. before I actual make my equipment purchase.
    I would go ahead a buy the trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer and BP blower now and
    use a 21” until a little later.

By the way I looking at the Stihl KM 110 Multi-Task Tools and would really appreciate
    any feed back about there reliability.

2. If you’re new to the biz, it might not seem this way, but the dealer is just about as important as the brand of the equipment. He’s definitely more important than the initial price. A dealer that you can get along with, who is quick and reliable for service/repairs, and willing to let you demo other equipment is more of a business partner than someone you buy things from. Before you lay down any money, ask around and find out what the other LCO’s say. Drop in from time to time and see if you run into any disgruntled customers.

Never the less, price is important. But price all your equipment with every dealer in the area. Don’t get in any hurry. When you find the dealer with the best reputation for customer service, ask if he can match (or at least come close to) the lower dealers prices. Then if he’s anywhere close to the low price, let him have all your business, and tell him why you selected him. If he knows you’re willing to let him make a profit with your business, he’ll be more apt to do the extras. Which means he'll want to keep you operating when you get broke down in the heat of the season.

They all know price shoppers come in looking for deals from November through January. But by February it’s too late. Start looking for quality equipment now. Search this website for threads about every tool. Take plenty of time to see what’s in your price range. Then get quotes from all the dealers. If you take your time and play it smart you should be able to get a great deal by November. Especially if you wait and buy it all at one time.
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Fantastic advice
    Excellent post.............:)
  4. You're sucking up ... and it's working. Now shut up. LOL