1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When is the best time to advertise aeration???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trailboss, Mar 28, 2001.

1. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

I am curious if most LMO's advertise aeration at a specific time in their seasonal maintenance schedule???
  2. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

Most aeration service is pushed in the fall. Only have about 10 clients you take it in the spring also. I aerate
    just before the last application of fertilizer. Most "experts" recommend fall as being the best time to do
    any lawn work, like seeding, aerating, dethatching, etc..
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Around here its April. That is when everyone wants to work in their lawn and spend money. Fall is best, but spring makes the money.
  4. sell it year round. do it spring or fall. make sure that the ground is nice and wet though so you get nice deep plugs.
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Aeration is fine in spring but are you seeding also in the spring or are you aerating again in the fall & overseeding?
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have to agree with Ray that its best to Aerate in the Fall if you are overseeding. My personal preference is to Power Rake them in the Spring and then Aerate them in the Fall.

As for advertising, for any given service I like to start advertiseing for the season at least a month in advance. I will then keep advertiseing a month ahead of time for up coming services as the season trudges on.

Good Luck this season!
  7. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

It simply depends on the grass in which you are aerating. I assume that in Texas you are aerating St. Augustine, zoysia, or bermuda. Is this corrrect? If so, these are all warm season turf grasses that need to be aerated in the SPRING only. No seeding of these stolon and rhizome grasses--just aeration. Advertise starting mid-March and aerate between April and June. If I were you, I would look at Texas A& M's ag school website and find out what they say. But in no way are you to aerate warm season grasses in the fall.
  8. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

We aerate in the spring around mid- March through the end of April depending on the weather conditions. During fall we aerate October through November if the property is to be seeded with winter cover. You can aerate any time the ground is not frozen or water logged however, those months seem to be the most beneficial times of year around here (north Texas). When aerating in the fall we always over seed to cover the dormant warm season grass. If the customer does not want to over seed they will normally not want to aerate.

Advertising is funny, most people (around here) don’t know what the service even is much less what it does for there lawn which means a lot of information has to be put on the flyer, news paper ad, insert. Try to educate the customers you have for lawn care (mowing) send out newsletter in spring first of March again in April informing them of the benefits of the service. Be ready to answer questions they might have and “educate” the lovely people.

A conversation between Billy Bob and the lawn guy upon finishing his weed-lot.

"them thar things look like poodle poo you is pullin out my yard" says Billy bob home owner in his brand new bibs and straw hat. "you is pickin that up when you leave ain"t chu cuz i sure be hatten tuu geet it tween my toe's" lawn guy-"no sir we leave it so your wife can make jam out of it" BB- "what kinda jam would ya call et" lawn guy- "toe-jam"

Customer education is a wonderful thing!

Just something to think about, hope it helped a little.
  9. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

When's the best time to aerate fescue is it ok to aerate in the spring?
  10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Fescue can be aerated in spring/summer/fall, however seeding is a different story, fall is the best time.