When is the best time to seed in the spring?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by EliteImpressions, Mar 4, 2008.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Probably a stupid question, but when is it appropriate to ressed in the spring? Ive always done my yard in the fall so that its not competing with weeds. I have a customer that wants theirs done ASAP though

Im worried that the seed wont germinate and might wash away with a heavy storm since their lawn is pretty bare right now. The daily average for this month is highs around 55-60 and lows around 35-38. In april the average is high around 65 and low around 45.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

acknowledging that fall is best.......you can do dormant seeding now and the seed will germinate when the soil temp gets to a consistent 55 degrees......that requires day and night temps to be 55...... be sure they don't have any pre-emergent put down or you have wasted your time and their money.....
  3. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

Where are you? In Pa., still a little too early to seed right now. Be careful of the Pre-m as stated above. If the lawn is mostly bare as you described, I would not worry about placing any Pre-m down and just seed, and spot treat as weeds appear. Soil temp needs to be right. For the seed not to wash out, maybe aerate, seed,lightly rake, and roll, then place straw. This should lessen the chances of a washout.
  4. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Yeah, I was thinking mid April would be best. But I dont want the guy to use someone else that will put down the seed earlier.
  5. brownbrothers

brownbrothers LawnSite Member

how long after you pre-M, can you reseed?
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What does it say on the bag? 3 to 6 weeks is typical. It takes a week or two for the chemical to be washed into the soil. The colored granules are doing nothing during the time they are colored granules.

Once they are no longer colored granules, (but actually washed into the soil profile) how long will they stifle the root growth in their sphere of influence? (Stifling root growth is what makes them a 'pre-m')

How long does it last once it is disolved in the soil profile? Well that would depend on the type of soil and rainfall, or (irrigation amounts).

Around here 'annual ryegrass' will germinate and grow quicker than crabgrass any time of the year.

How would you analyse the experience of 'nothing' germinating and surviving - for 18 months after the the last pre-m application? and I do mean 'nothing' for - 18 months.

You tell me why we need pre-m year after year and we can't grow real grass in place of crabgrass. Pre-m should be redundant within 2 years.

...After all we are growing an organism that can dominate a landscape w/out any help from us at all...

So in answer to your question : ... perhaps as long as 18 months depending on your individual circumstance. No two lawns, in different climates, different soils, and different rainfall - are equal.

Better yet, put down some seed this year and you tell us how long it took and give us your analyses as to why it happened the way it did.

There are just too many factors that are , 'unknowns'. That is why sorting through the 'information' in the forum is valuable to all. :)