1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

When is the best time

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BobCat#1, Oct 2, 2006.

1. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

to put out the fertilizer with weed control,fall or spring?Thanks

2. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

depends on what you want to get rid off; POA, crabgrass, normal weeds....

3. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

and normal weeds and clover

4. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

I am in MA and you are in NC but I will try to help.

Clover is anytime. I have used Momentum FX2 (gran) and worked very nice. A liquid will do better; That is all I use. Drive 75 works great, Confront (but new regs is a no-no), Dimension will, Elimanate will and many others.

Same with other weeds Momentim FX2 is nice and works very well. I would not use them in weather over 85 F though. Burns.

http://www.weedalert.com/ is a good site. Any 2-4-d will kill weeds etc. Clover is a pain but so far momentum FX killed 95% of it. Just some spot spraying now.

5. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

fertilizer with weed control,granuler type work?

6. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

Lesco - Momentum FX2. Like $40 for a 50 LB bag. Does 12K sq/ft. I think it is like 3.4 LB per 1,000 feet. That I feel is your best bet. It is like 20-0-11?

7. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

is what my lawn takes

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Best way to actually get rid of weeds and such is to call a professional out. Not trugreenchemlawn, an actual professional. There should be a few in your area, look them up in your phone book.

Although you may think you are comming out ahead applying your own fert and weed control you could just be wasting money. Professional applications are not all that pricey and the best part is you dont have to worry about the right time or rate or product to apply. I know, I sound like a salesman.

If you are dead set on applying your own try posting your question in the fertilizer/pesticide/herbicide area of this site.

9. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

lazy man or rich man's way to do it,i think:laugh:

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not if you believe 10-10-10 is what your lawn takes. Have you had a soil test done to tell you that? I seriously doubt you need all that P in your soil. Most all lawns dont. Over use of P is what is going to get it banned from fert.
    That is well on its way to being a regulation already.
    I agree, get a pro to test your soil and get you on a proper program.