1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When Is The Mowing Season Over For You

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

So when Is It all done and over for you In your part of the country. And what do you do to store and protect your equipment?
  2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

When the grass stops growing.:cry: It goes in the garage until next spring.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, every yard is a bit different and they stop growing at different times but:

A FEW of your pitas and possibly one or two that you would not have expected to do this will call you in September to tell you the grass isn't growing so they don't need you to come out anymore (and in a 'this is final' tone).
    In VERY few instances is it really ok, in most of these cases this is one to watch come next spring you need to go sneak a look IF they call (cuz likely it will be way over grown), thou more than a few of these never call you back and I'm not about to call them, it's usually just a lame way of getting out of having our services.

As for the rest, there is a short burst usually starting about now through september, it is almost like spring but not quite. Then the lawns slow down and stop growing some in October, others in November, a few might require one final cut in December, it all depends but somewhere in that time frame here in virginia, they all stop growing. Keep in mind they all slow down after september so it might only require 1-2 cuts / month.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

usually last weekly cut is around halloween then one more final cut 2-3 weeks later in the middle of leaves
  5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i usually stop mowing in the middle of november and finish cleanups the last week of december. this year my stuff will get a coat of fluid film (just discovered it this year) and get tarped up on the trailer again until the first week of march.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, that reminds me:

TRY real hard to run all the fuel out or as close to it for your equipment, this I do starting in October, I also use the fuel syphon kit to transfer the last of it out and use it in the leaf equipment (like the blower) also I let all but one of my 5-gallon cans run out as well, so most of my stuff is empty of fuel come winter.

For the stuff that still has fuel, I always add a shot (one pint / 5 gallons) of Sunoco 110 leaded racing gas to all my fuel which acts as a preservative but even before that, fuel stays fresh enough in the 1-2 month hiatus I take, no biggie.

And yes, definitely put under the house and/or cover with tarp and I like spraying things down with wd-40 as well.
  7. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

We mow all year round here :) nov-march the busiets season.
  8. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Finished clean-ups the first week of december unless it snows then its before than. Store my stuff in the enclosed trailer.
  9. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Me and the wifey were seriously considering moving to Australia. Not only because of the green industry but because the country is actively looking for qualified American college graduates. I've heard one professor say that they offer Top dollar for teachers, which is my major, any truth to this?
  10. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Our turf pretty much shuts down between Halloween and 2 weeks into Nov. I store my w/b outside with 2 tarps and off the tires. All other equipment goes in the garage. I block the mower up to keep the tires from getting flat spots. I run my last tank, in the 4 strokes, with Stabil and I change the oil. The 2 strokes have stablizer in the oil. Then let the boredom begin.