When is the right time to hire help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Markee, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Markee

Markee LawnSite Member

I'm in the business a few months now only and have 8 regular customers. I was just wondering how many accounts did you have before hiring help. Not that I need it now, with just 8 accounts, just wondering about when all you LCO"s out there did start hiring. When it's time to do so what was the best avenue to find help. I was thinking advertise in the paper or maybe go to unemployment and see if people are looking for work. I'll be glad to hear any comments.

Markee Lawn

2. keyth

keyth LawnSite Member

I myself have only been in this business for alittle while and do not need help but if i was to i think i would do what you wrote but it would be nice to find someone i know to help that i know will work.

3. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

I would say when your accounts start to suffer because you have too much work. I guess you would have to weigh the costs involved but if you want to grow you gotta do it. Do the best job you can on each account and make sure you get paid good for it. Once you notice that you're falling behind then hire someone,even if it's for a couple of days a week. There are people out there who are willing to pay for good service just make sure you give them that.

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Say you have enough work to keep you busy 5 days a week. And say your making 250-300 a day so we will round that up to 1500 a week. If you hire some one for 10 an hour you’re looking at paying 80-120 a day depending on hours. You would probably watch your daily income rise to 500-600 a day so you could make 2500-3000 per week with the helper. You know you couldn’t do this on your own with the new amount of work. So your new income may be 2 k a week. That having been said you now see the advantages of having employees here’s the negative. If your at 5 days of work a week you really cant tac on more work till you have help and until you secure more work you really don’t need the employee. In other words until you get more work you are gona take a hit in pay. The pay off is worth it but understand what that means.

Most landscapers never go beyond 1 crew its to painful to think about. Your trying to double your company in a single move obviously you won’t have that much work at first you could not of done it. So there has to be that painful loss or break-even stage. Which is why so few every grow to any notable size how ever say you have 4 crews and wish to expand its no pain at all just cut the hours a little bit on the others until you fill out to your new size. So what I'm saying is your know when you need the help and then you need to decide if you want to share your money with them.