when is the right time to seal a paver patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by atomarchio, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. atomarchio

    atomarchio LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    just installed walkway with tumbled Pavers from a company called Nare (sp?) or something like that.

    Either way, they've been in for 2 weeks now and of course look all dirty which the owner does'nt like. The homeowner wants me to seal the pavers now but I've heard different companies say you should wait 6 weeks to 6 months before sealing.

    Customer is on me to seal now. Should I do this? Any possible problems that could happen? The alternative would be to wait months as the owner will hold back cash.

    Please let me know your thoughts. Wondering what your experiences have been in similar situations.

    Thanks.
     
  2. zedosix

    zedosix LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,628

    Maybe all that patio needs is a good cleaning with some efflorecence cleaner. Typically I would wait til the following year. You could seal after 2 or 3 months but make sure you preceed with the cleaning before sealing. Also do NOT seal the pavers if the brick is wet. Must be completely dry and not to hot.
    Basically its a pita kinda job.

    Good luck.
     
  3. atomarchio

    atomarchio LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    Is there some kind of cleaner you would recommend? If so, it something available locally in the Cleve,OH area?

    Please let me know. Thanks.
     
  4. Tahoe1889

    Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 125

    Sealer says you should wait 1 year for the efflorecence to fully bleed out then you can seal them.
     
  5. Joe65

    Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj
    Posts: 93

    customer i just did big install on wants me now to power wash pavers and seal them........not sure what to use.....or if i should just clean them and not seal
     
  6. atomarchio

    atomarchio LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    I am in the exact same siuation regarding cleaning and sealing. What can of damage do you think I would cause by sealing it now? No way the customer is willing to wait an entire year.
     
  7. Tahoe1889

    Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 125

  8. atomarchio

    atomarchio LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    So what would happen should I decided not to wait that long?
     
  9. McKeeLand

    McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 681

    If you want to seal your pavers immediately, you can look into Surebonds sealer, joint sand stabilizer. Its a breathable sealer that allows the pavers to do there thing over the first year. Plus if you used regular sand it helps stabilize it like a poly sand. However the cost is double a regular sealer and the conditions to apply it have to be just right. The sand has to dry, which means you have to clean one day and wait several to come back and seal them. i used it last year towards the late fall and had to use a roofing torch to help dry out the joints. it worked well. it an option if the home owner wants to pay for it. Maybe the price difference will get her off your back until the recommended 6 months for most pavers before sealing with a traditional sealer.
     

Share This Page