When is there too much stuff in the yard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering how y'all do it.

I picked up a few yards in new construction subdivisions this season.

They started out as easy cuts. But, in the recent weeks some have put up fences and many have put in A TON of landscape shrubbery, yard ornaments, gardens etc... I am waiting for a pink flamingo to pop up.

Anyway, when I priced it I anticipated a fence and new landscape to be installed. However, the customers I am talking about have gone hog wild crazy. It is increasing the trimmer time way too much as compared to the average yard.

At what point do you all say enough is enough and raise the price?

Then, how do you do it without offending them by saying their yard is too cluttered?

TIA

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you have to ask yourself this question, it's probably time.

tell them when you priced the yard that it was for x amount of time and with all the new trimming, it now takes you y mins so you will have to charge accordingly.

3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

About two weeks ago I told a customer that very thing. Her grandson started putting plants in a few spots in the yard and I told him to relay the message that her price would increase because of it. :gunsfirin Only increased time by a couple of minutes, but my goal was to stop the rediculous placement of these plants in the lawn area. She showed up and I told her myself. Stopped it cold and he isn't staying there anymore that I can tell. LOL

4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

One caveat is that it was one of the lawns that I had to use my 21" on, but after buying a 32" it takes much less time! :D So it worked out well.

5. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer like that last year. At the end of the year there were 94 objects to trim around (flag pole, free standing trees, a double swing set, plant beds, a pergola, a fountain, grape arbor, etc.) They also had 1290 feet of chain link fence. It took a two man crew over two hours to cut this property.

The beginning of this year I raised their price 10% and they decided to go with someone else. I didn't complain one bit. I drove past the house about a week ago and noticed the yard was cut but the grass is growing up all along the fence and looks like crap.

6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You should not be penalized for becoming more efficient. It's the same amount of grass either way, with more trimming.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta go to south Florida to see that...lol

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I still havent seen the flamingo, yet..... I've seen everything else though.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just wait, it will be right next to the Madonna holding the silver ball...lol

10. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I have that problem with 1 account right now. They have added 2 swing sets and a garden hose that lays in the grass instead of on a hose bib. I am going to say something to them soon. Only takes about 2 or 3 minutes extra, but, it wasn't there when I bid the yard so it is worth an extra $10 or so. Plus it might keep them from adding more. I don't think it will offend them at all.