1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When is to late to plant grass

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by The landscaper, Nov 6, 2007.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

When does it start getting to late to plant grass in northern ohio? Have we already passed that point.
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

This will be interesting to see for Ohio, because I won't seed later than the first week of October in Oregon.
  3. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

when you have to ask....

based on the snow on the ground, i assume you missed the boat
  4. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys have snow on the ground. I think its supposed to be back into the 50's and 60's this weekend and next week.
  5. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

I'm no agronomist (sp?), but my understanding is kbg will germinate and grow if the soil temp is 50 degrees. Since germination can take 7-14 days, November is pushing it.
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

if your just having cooler weather but are still getting some sun, a frost blanket will let you seed later in the year, but you will need to add more in the spring because you won't have a great % germinating. I look at the 10 day forecast and hope for a sunny 70* day to pop the seed, but I would say your too late for that now.
  7. rclaxton

rclaxton LawnSite Member

The grass down by the coast will lie dormant in the winter. It is actually better to plant grass here in the winter because it does not have the shock value as in the spring in the summer!!!
  8. bobcat52

bobcat52 LawnSite Member

you know it's too late when the ground freezes over