When is your mowing season over....midwest?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ColePyck, Sep 30, 2004.

1. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Just curious when you Indiana guys stop your mowing season and apply your last fert application for faster spring greenup?? Thanks!

2. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

i run till all the leaves are cleaned up which is around mid to late nov

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

My first year in the business, but it looks like mowing will be done by the last week of October. I may be able to still kick some leaves around the first week of November, but most likely we'll have snow on the ground by then. So best bet is to have everything cleaned up and then get snowplow ready to go by Nov. 1st.

Buck

4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Boturf, you're not still mowing weekly that late are you? Or are you just picking up leaves?

5. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We try to mow weekly if the customer lets us through October. Then hit the yards twice during November to keep it tidy. And if weather will allow us, go back b4 Christmas for a final, more detailed cleanup.

6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I shut it down the Tuesday before THANKSGIVING. Get the mowers all serviced up (oil & filters) and put them to bed for the season.

End of MOWING depends on first HEAVY FROST, which basically shuts down any blade growth for the season. Beginning of November I put down the final "WINTER FEED" fertilizing. Then basically do LEAVES (as needed) until week of Thanksgiving.

Mike

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Most generally mowing season here in Kansas ends at the end of October. I put on my collection deck and start leaf cleanup through November.

8. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Grassbusters hit it on the head , thats about what we do and our time frame , Indiana weather is so unpredictable ya never know we miught have snow on ground by late oct

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

In Minnesota, it's been anywhere from October 15th until as late as January 3rd that I've done work.

As long as the leaves aren't frozen to the ground, I'm doing clean-ups.

About 3 years ago, we had 10" snowfall around the 24th of October, then it was all gone by the 10th of November and I went back out doing clean-ups. Cleaned lawns until the 20th of December while my competition had packed everything away and were whining about not having any snow to plow.

10. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

We don't want Indiana in the Midwest because they get done workin' an hour before we do! :p :p

Buu. . . uuut, seriuosly folks. :rolleyes: How soon is winter gonna hit this year. My aunt in Indy has had some serious snow at times when WI. had little. I can usually count on working leaves until first snowfall around Halloween. Longer if the snow doesn't stay and the windy weather brings more leaves from the back forty. If this falls weather keeps up I'll be mowing through Halloween. When we get to work (and sleep) and hour later. :cool2: