When it comes to a 21" mower ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Now I'm talking to the guys who only use a 21" mower on a very limited bases ... not the guys who mow entire lawns with them every day.

How many of you actually have a commercial 21" mower? Do you feel that the added cost of a commercial quality mower (21" only) is worth the expense for a piece your use very sparingly?

For those of you who DON'T use a commercial unit ... what do you feel is the best available out there for the price?

2. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a commercial Bob-Cat 21" mower in 1978. It's on my trailer right now. You do the math.

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't use mine to mow entire properties. 2 lawn if have to cut an area in the back because i can't fit any other mower back there, other than that it just gets used for very small areas not that often. I have a Res. Honda 21" mower thats 8-10 years old and has the Xenoy deck and wheels. Works fine and i've heard there isn't alot of diffences between the commercial and residential Honda 21" mowers other than the steel deck on the comm. the comm go for close to $1000 where as the Res. models are around $500 - $600 depending on what options you get like self propelled etc. I've talked to a sales person at a dealer that sells them and he told me many of the lco's just by the res. mowers because they cost less and they usually don't need them for entire lawns, just trimming.

4. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Toro super recycler personal pace with aluminum deck. I like the blade override system so the engine stays running if I have to let go to pick something up.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

If we cant use a 34" Z or 36" WB then we dont want it.

6. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

This is a very good mower. In my brothers business we use them for our main mowers and they hold up pretty darn well.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Do the math.
    Commercial mower. 1100 use for 5-? years with little to zero problems.

Residential mower 300-600 use for 1-2 years little problem then repair all the time maybe a max of 10 years use using it as a trim mower and occasional use.

Now here is where the X factor comes in.

You are finished with this mower and it still has some life in it. residential sold maybe nets you 50 dollars.
    good commercial unit sold will net you 300+.
    So residential unit actually costs between 250 and 550
    commercial mower costs you 600-900.

I only say go commercial as I use both.
    I recently sold a 5 year old honda HRC216 for 650 bought it for 1049
    it really only cost me 400 to run that mower for 5 years. You do the math.

8. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

Honda
    Isn't making a commercial 21 for 07
    I was told by the dealer that most LCO's are no longer
    buying Commercial 21's because the new Toro's, snapper's and Honda's
    are lasting long enough.
    Just what I heard
    Alan

9. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Of all my accounts I only have two with very small backyards where my 50" ZTR won't fit. I've been using a piece of crap 22" 4hp briggs and stratton "Lowes Special" that was left on my mom's rental property when the people moved out. It starts first pull every time and gets the job done. About a year ago I had a neighbor approach me and sold me another good running push mower for $10. If either one ever gave me a problem I'd trash it.

10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I bought one of those last spring, I only had 24 lawns between 3-10k sq ft and it didn't last the season. Piece of crap imo.