When It Rains, It Pours!!! How Do I Play Catch-up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SharpEdgeLawnCare, May 5, 2003.

1. SharpEdgeLawnCare

SharpEdgeLawnCare LawnSite Member

Here in Central Kentucky, The past 2 days it has rained (severe weather and poured 2-3 inches) and they are calling for thunderstorms at least a 50-60% chance for the next 5 days!! With the ground being soaked, of course i dont mow then because it leaves tracks and just a mess. How long after a soaking rain on pretty level ground (non low-lying area) do you give before you tackle it? What Do I tell the customers if their grass is getting to be 4" high??? How do you all hanbdle that when they call you and expect you to be out there for hte 2 hour break of sunshine??? Thanks in advance!

Chris

2. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

SharpEdge, we're in the same boat as you here in Western KY man! Rain all week long in the forecast. I just explain to the customer that even though you have a few hours of sunshine, it takes a lot more than that to dry a yard. If they insist, tell them you wont be accountable for the damage it may cause to the yard and go mow it!! Believe me, they won't ask you to mow it again wet!!:D

3. we've had 2.5 inches today, its 2:30 now we will be out in one hour doing where we can. sometimes you mow wet or otherwise you'll never mow, you do what you gotta do to get it done without tearing it up.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont believe that you have a choice. You need to get out there and mow, but do be careful. I routinely mow in the rain and noone says anything.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I find I can hustle and make up 2 lost days of rain in a week and still get done by the end of the day Saturday, but more than that and someone has to get pushed back.

I saw a crew doing a hospital today in the rain that normally looks fantastic, with great striping and a nice cut. It was awful. Sludge was coming out the discharge shoots, and no amount of blowing would fix the clumps they had. It's only Monday, but rain is forcast for later in the week too, so I guess they felt they had to. But it's a shame, they're risking leaving clumps that will leave dead spots on an otherwise near-perfect turf.

If I were a property owner, I think I'd rather it look long for a while, and even after that it would be cut extra high once until they could catch up. Anything rather than leave ruts, clumps, and turf damage from turning on sloppy turf.

Also, many times of year, one type of turf is growing slower than the other (like now, Fescue is growing fast, Bermuda is still a little slow), so I will skip the slow-growers and concentrate on the fast growing stuff in the limited time available. So far no complaints.

6. If so it would be better to cut wet than to let it get too tall.

Dave

7. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I mowed in the rain yesterday to keep up. I used the ocdc along sidewalks and didn't weedeat. This means limited clippings on sidewalk. Double cut . Raise the height as high as it will go . Its raining too hard for the customer to come out and check on edging anyway. RAzor sharp blades. I used a mulching mower to trim around things instead of trimmer. Lots of deck cleaning!

8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple that I can mow wet or dry,rain or shine. However, I have some that need to dry out for 2 or 3 days. The customer understands and most will if you talk with them and explain it.
    I saw an LCO out cutting yesterday in the rain on a soggy lawn. What a mess. Tire tracks and lots of clumps. I would hate to have to explain what happened on that lawn.
    When its like this I just work on projects that can be done in the rain. I try to always have something in the works like flowers or putting in crushed rock or mulch.
    When it clears up I have to mow like crazy, often on Sundays to catch up. But most of my accounts are commercial so weekend work is ok with the owners.

9. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Bouncer, Where at in Western KY. I am in the area also. The weather has been horriable. I did manage to cut one Friday, knocked out two Saturday, and mowed one yesterday. Just hiting around the rain.

Nice to meet you.

10. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I'm in northern KY with the same problem. Seems like it has rained every day for at least 3 weeks. We got around 3" of rain night before last and yesterday morning. When the sun came out in the afternoon, so did the mowers. I double bladed w/gators on top and raised the discharge chute. Even had some places where there was water standing(doubles really suck up the water:D). Used the trimmer and buzzed the top of these areas. All of these properties were 10-11 days since last mowing and it was either mow them or start looking at hay balers. I left a few mud tracks on the grass but there were no places were I actually sunk.