When It Rains

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green-Cuts, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

I need to see what you guy's do if you had 20-30 lawns lined up to mow on a week and it ends up raining most of the week. How do most people handle this as far as how do you get caught up and get everyone mowed??

Brandon Jolley
  2. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

If your mowers can handle the rain and you don't mind cleaning off the decks, mow during the rain. Otherwise bust your ass when it stops, because if you don't keep everybody happy, you'll hear about it.

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

We do them in order until they are done, starting at 10 am sturday.finishing 5pm and sunday. some of customers DO NOT want us on thier lawn on weekends so those go to monday. We do a lot of lakefront properties.We alway finish by 5pm oe earlier to respect thier dinner and family time. The last thing i want to hear after a long dyas work are mowers in my back yard while im barbequing.
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Go like hell, put in long hours and extra day :)
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yep busst your azz tell you are caught up..work long hours and full weekends
  6. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I do not cut in the rain ( not good for lawn or the mowers) just your butt daylight to dark until you get caught up. and then start all over again.
  7. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

when it rains most of the week we end up working are as*** off and wishing we only had 20 accounts..lol..you shouldn't have a problem catching up on 20-30 average accounts. as you get more be careful not to have more than 40 hours of mowing per man..if you were mowing 80 hrs a week by yourself and fell behind due to weather or getting sick you will never catch up and have a lot of pissed off customers.. if you still want to put in say 80 hrs a week then do 40 grass and 40 landscaping..
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't work in the rain either... First, the equipment and the lawn really suffer, makes me feel like an idiot but also the last thing I need is to catch pneumonia when I am busy. It's just not for me.

Some lawns do get right tall, that's the breaks, these commercial mowers can handle some pretty serious turf... Cut them one lawn and one day at a time when it's not raining... Sometimes you can get a head start by cutting 2-3 more lawns right before they call for rain also.